View PDFs in Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yg17, Feb 5, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How do I get PDFs to display in Firefox rather than download? I used something called PDFPlugin on my G5, but that's not Intel compatible. I reluctantly installed the Craprobat Reader (At least its crap if its as slow and laggy as the windows version) thinking it would install a PDF plugin...which, looking at /Library/Internet Plugins, it did, but Firefox refuses to use it. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

:rolleyes:

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

5. numlock macrumors 68000

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Schubert plugin is not universal.

The Adobe plugin is hard-coded to look for Safari.

Such is life.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    getting pdf's to work in firefox was a pain, but you just install that reader thing, and now it works great.

How to get it to work in OmniWeb 5?...I have no clue..

8. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Are you able to get PDFs to show using the Adobe Reader 8 plugin within Firefox 2? I'm on a G4 mini and I cannot get that to work. In fact, the Adobe plugin doesn't show up in Firefox (about: plugins) at all. And to add to that, I can't get the Schubert plugin to work (even after setting Adobe Reader to not handle Internet PDFs and repairing file permissions). What a sad state of affairs.

Update: I cannot even get PDFs to load in-browser in Safari, so I think I have a more complicated situation... :mad:

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

o, i didn't :eek: , i wasn't really care, im getting used to it already, i know when I switched to mac, there will be something i need to accept as change, :D doesn't really bother me.

schubert will affect safari, so u might want to check their website and find a way to restore the settings in safari.

10. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Well, I'll keep trying. I've been on the Mac for a long time (but am mostly a PC user at work... until my Dell laptop went nuts, which is why I'm trying to get my work Mac up to snuff now). Anyway, I've been on OS X from 10.0, and there have been long periods where I was able to get either Schubert plugin and/or the Adobe plugin to work in Firefox, so there ought to (or at least used to be) a way, and there shouldn't be any need to accept a more tedious way of viewing web PDFs.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

hehe, nice, share with us when u find the solution. thanks

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    what ?

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's a hidden preference, you type that at the terminal and restart the program to get PDFs inside the browser window. It's not on by default because the controls aren't yet complete, but it works.

15. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

as someone has mentioned, have you tried the pdf download extension? it is not as capable as acrobat 8 or preview, but the extension is a quick and dirty way to view pdfs w/o downloading them.