View TV on emac or imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rjs3387, Nov 8, 2003.

1. rjs3387 macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2003
    I have been struggling to do some video editing on my PC, so have decided to convert and buy a mac !

I would also like to be able to watch tv on the mac but am not sure if it is possible (as you can on a PC with a suitable graphics card).

Can anyone advise if this is possible or what hardware / software would need to be bought?

I am thinking of buying either an e mac or iMac depending on funds.

A second hand power mac is an option as well.

Any help to convert me from PC to Mac would be much appreciated.

2. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    eyeTV is a relatively cheap TV watching solution. $199 or so and it can take inputs from TV or other things via coaxial cable or RCA connectors. Connects to the Mac via USB. Can record TV at about 600 MB/hour, burn to VCDs. Quality is not 100%, but is watchable.
  3. StrongGlad macrumors member

Jun 22, 2003
    I recommend that you check out a product by the name of "Televio," if you're considering a Power Mac. It's a PCI card, so it won't work in an e/iMac, but this allows it greater bandwith, and thus its quality is generally better than the USB solutions out there.

It's about $150, and provides a stereo TV tuner, stereo FM tuner, and even a programmable remote control. It can also record television and radio using any codec installed on your Mac.

It's interface takes a little getting used to, but overall I've been quite pleased with this product, especially in comparison to the various TV cards I've tried on the PC side (e.g. Hauppauge, ATI, etc.).