Viewing 'ALL' action script in a Flash file

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of coding in action script for Flash MX lately. And as a programmer in a previous life, I'm used to being able to see all the code in a single file or mulitple files. But with Flash I can only see code when I click on the object or frame that has it entered, not all of it at the same time for a single .fla

Am I missing something here - I have just been doing this for the first time for about a month. And my current project is getting quite hefty, codewise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

D

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...the only thing that comes to mind is using "#include" to call in external documents with the ActionScript you need.

Hopefully someone more up-to-date with FlashMX than I will have an answer for you...

3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

*smacks forehead *

Thank you! :)

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

eh, that has the stuff, but you can't edit it in that window. That's what I was hoping to do, along with being able to easily jump from scene to scene. I know I've just started playing around with all this, but my current project has 12+ scenes (making a few more) and well over 1500 lines of action script. I'll be able to use it to jump from one point to the other, and copying some text, but it would be nice to be able to edit code directly.

That and getting another monitor so I can spread out the windows, Flash really has a lot going on but, damn, those windows seem to multiply.....:D

Thanks,

D

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

not sure what your project is, but I hate using scenes. I tend to use labels as "scence changes" and loadMovie for larger transitions.

scenes are a pain in the ass!

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah, they are a bit, but its working well - I'll post the final project soon. There is no way I would have been able to do it as a single movie in one timeline with labels (it would hvave been really messy, but loadMovie would have worked - maybe in version 2.0.

Like I said, I'm just starting, so even though I've learned a ton, I'm not feeling like going back and converting each scene into its own movie quite right yet. Although, I do realize that would be a more elegant solution.....hmmm. I might just have to do a little test to see how well it works.

Thanks,

D