viewing avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wasd, Feb 25, 2006.

1. wasd macrumors member

ok this seems to be the problem right now. i just downloaded the vlc beta intel that just came out on february 23rd. Now the problem is that when i play a video, this messages appears (main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.) Therefore there is sound but no video. I have tried researching on this and downloaded flipformac, mplayer, but nothing works. How can i get this to work?

Thanks
    Ken

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

WMV3 aka Windows Media 9 is not available as open source. You are probably unaware of the fact that the Windows version of VLC uses the standard Windows API's to play WMV3 on that platform. IIRC, Flip4Mac is not yet compatible with Intel-based Macs.

3. wasd thread starter macrumors member

4. TAV macrumors regular

The Flip4Mac plug-in supports the Windows Media Video 9 standard codec (WMV3). The Flip4Mac plug-in would not properly install and be usable on the intel mac under the OS that shipped with your machine 10.4.4. 10.4.5 corrected the installation and playability problem, however it is not yet fully compatible with intel, as stated above.

Until such time as they release a compatible version, assuming you want to watch WMV files in Quicktime, simply launch Quicktime under rosetta. With the F4M component installed, they'll play fine.