viewing iTunes rental on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fang shi tong, Apr 17, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I've rented a movie from iTunes by using my MBP, i.e. I did not rent directly on Apple TV, but rather on my computer. I now find that Apple TV does not "see" the rented movie even though it is sitting there in my Rented Movies folder in iTunes. Any ideas on how I can see this movie through Apple TV? Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

The ability to rent HD movies in iTunes (not the ATV) is new with the latest version of iTunes. In the past, if you rented an HD movie on your ATV, if was not transferable, even to another ATV. I haven't experimented with this issue since the latest Itunes was released.

Is there anyway to chose to sync the rented movie to your ATV in your ATV settings in Itunes?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

From Preferences? Nah, not much there. If it's true that I cannot view this movie through Apple TV, it will be one more indication (among many) that Apple is just not interested in ATV.

4. macrumors 68040

You should be able to go into the Movies Tab under the Apple TV from within iTunes, and transfer the rental movie that way.

5. macrumors 6502

No, not preferences, goto the atv in your devices list in Itunes. You should see a tab for movies (as well as podcast, music, tvshow..etc). Go to the movies tab and see if your rented movie is listed there. If it is, just check the box next to movie and sync it to your ATV (you may have to use custom sync in order to do this).

Again I haven't tried it...I imaged you CAN do this tho....

6. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont think you can watch a rented movie from iTunes on your ATV. To view a rental on your ATV it has to be rented via the ATV. I may be wrong and sincerely hope I am.

A rented movie on the ATV will create a new menu item called Rented Movies whereby you should be able to see the movie. It will not show up in 'my movies'.

7. macrumors member

Unfortunately if you rent a movie on your Mac, you are hosed and cannot move it to ATV, only to an iPod/iPhone.

8. macrumors 6502

that stinks...thats something Apple needs to fix pronto...i might even send them an email about it...

...sometimes it would be nice to order rental movie while at work, and have it ready to go on the TV at home. And if I have a trip coming up, and I rented something on ATV, it would be nice to move it to the ipod for the trip...

9. macrumors regular

According to the Apple support site, you should be able to rent on iTunes on your computer and watch it on :apple:TV. The feature requires the latest software on the :apple:TV.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1390

10. macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

You have to access your ATV from the itunes tab on your computer. You can then transfer it to the ATV itself from the computer It will not show up on your ATV to stream.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed the ATV update and......it works! I can now see (not previously) the rented movie under the Movies tab in ATV in iTunes. Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions.