Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoneage

macrumors regular
Original poster
I got a CD with my shoulder MRI from my doctor, but it won't open on my Mac. Is there a program to open or convert this so I can view it? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• MRI.jpg
    MRI.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 38,615

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Have you looked in the folders for any sort of image files? It looks like it's some autorun and Windows executable that just pulls the images otherwise.

Joekiss

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2007
You'll need Windows

I do research involving MRIs and on my Mac at work, my University bought me a $9000 program (and that was the academic price). However, you can get MRI viewers for Windows for free.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Usually the image will have the software on the CD to view it. I would presume it is for windows only. Put it in a windows computer. Don't bother trying to download other viewers as it probably needs its own software.

stoneage

macrumors regular
Original poster

drsarbes

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
midwest
I use Osirix frequently to view MRI, CT and plain X-ray films.
I ALWAYS have to IMPORT the image files.
Is there a way to have these autoboot?
Also, I find that at times the resolution on some of the MRI slices is less than it should be. Is there a way to increase this?

Thanks

Steve

tsember

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
New Mexico
Thank You

I cannot help the last poster (hopefully it is OBE, by now), but I wanted to post that based on stoneage's note that OsiriX worked well to read his MRI CD I downloaded the free version for mine. It did, indeed, work immediately and well. It also automatically read and managed the CD for my old fashioned X-rays.

I am grateful to the person (I think it was "theanswer") who first suggested this application. I plan to let my doctor's office know about it so they can advise their Mac-using clients of it.

I should add Peace and drsarbe to the list of those to thank.

Last edited:

Jumpthrough

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
As far as some sort of application to open these, I have no idea but I work at a University Hospital and we give patients copies of their radiology studies on cd's all day long. These images are DICOM, which means they need the DICOM viewer-this is on the CD already and works if you have a Windows based PC. Our instructions for the disc clearly state they are not viewable on Apple computers.:rolleyes:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I had a CAT scan and they gave me the disc which of course was windows only, so I found a friend at the public library who let me use one of their systems to view the CAT scan. It worked, but unfortunately looking at the scan didn't tell me anything. You need more than just viewing the scan to make sense out of it.

kari6

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Reactions: teradyl

teradyl

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Just want to say mjpan & kari6's answer is fantastic. You just drag and drop your files from the CD in Finder and it loads them up seamlessly, and no installing any program!!

Last edited:
Reactions: chevyorange
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.