Viewing OS 10.4.8 partition on XP/Vista?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DigitalN., Feb 25, 2007.

1. DigitalN. macrumors member

I need help, I need to backup my files on my MacBook, but I swear no one else in my town owns a mac. When I plug in an external drive, it does not like to register in this OSX Install, and I really don't feel like doing an overlapping install just to have a chance at losing my data. Is there a way to view all my files in Windows on another computer? or even just to copy the partition as a whole?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not quite sure I follow you... are you saying that you want to view your HFS+ (Mac) partition from Windows on a different computer?

There are at least two things you can do:

1) Easier (I think) -- enable Windows file sharing, serve the disk to the Windows computer, mount it, and then copy the files over.

2) If your PC has Firewire, you can bring the Mac up in Target Disk Mode (hold T while booting), which will make it act like a Firewire external disk. You will then need MacDrive to be able to read/write to it.

Alternatively, you should address why the external drive doesn't work. There's no reason for this. Even if it's NTFS, you should at least be able to read it. The most likely reason is that you are using a bus-powered drive from a notebook -- try plugging it into wallpower and plugging it into the Mac.

3. DigitalN. thread starter macrumors member

I dunno whats up, it is the install for sure, becuase when I plug in my 100GB 7200 instead of my 80 5400, it reads the externals fine, but on the 80 it is hit and miss.