Viewing PC photos on a Mac

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lannette, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Lannette macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. My son must put together an art porfolio on a PC (That's all he presently has access to) but it must be able to be viewed on a Mac. Is there an easy way to do this?

Also, We've noted that all of the colleges that he's applied to use Macs versus PCs. We have yet to purchase a computer for him to take to school and have decided to investigate Macs. My understanding is that Macs are preferred when it comes to art. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Lannette

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

A photo is a photo. It's a platform independent file. You can open photo's in almost any file format on any system, Mac or Windows.

While I might be a bit partial :D, I'd definately say buy a Mac if your son wants to be creative and deal with graphics. In all my experience (not much, but I was graphics editor for my college newspaper), serious graphics are usually done on Macs. You can get them done on Windows too, but it's just a better experience on a Mac.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

definitely mac for arts of music... many music schools actually REQUIRE students to buy a mac to work with... and i don't know any photo students anywhere who use PC's for anything

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Macs Vs. PC's

Well i have used both platforms for photo and fine arts, as i am a Graphic Design major. The pictures will work both on the PC and a Mac, save them as a tiff file. You can do that with photoshop.

As far as which is better, i have been a diehard PC fan, i used Macs for Grahic design and soon fell in love. They were so much quicker than the pc in Photoshop and illustrator as well as all the other graphics programs. When i would be rendering large files of 200 or more MB on the PC it would take forever but when i would be doing the same on a mac it was much quicker.

I have a PIII 700 MHz with 512 RAM and a 32 MB video card with 20 GB hard drive, the school computers run on a G4 400 MHz with 384 RAM and a 30 GB hard drive and the Mac was much faster.

I can't wait to order the rev B G5 when they are anounced. Hope this helps.

5. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Re: Viewing PC photos on a Mac

Picture formats are universal (mostly). Any picture that you can view in windows can be viewed on a Mac.

You can just burn the pictures on a CD and then pop the CD in any Mac and use them. (Someone who actually has a Mac should verify this for me)

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Re: Re: Viewing PC photos on a Mac

i can verify it, i burn cds on my mac and windows ppl can see the pictures, and when i was home i used my wintel to burn picture cds and i can still see them when i imported it to my mac

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

He might have the CD setup to launch a PC viewing program. In that case it wouldn't work the same in a Mac versus a PC. On a Mac the user will have to browse the CD looking for the pictures...

Of course you are going to get a lot of people telling you to go Mac for your son here. I will join them. :D Last year someone asked me for a laptop recommendation for their son. He was going to be an art major, and he wanted to get a Mac since his college required a Mac.

My recommendation to you is to wait until you know what college he wants to attend and see if they have a required platform. If they don't, Mac is a safe bet for art students. The majority of colleges use Macs for their art majors.

8. Apple //e macrumors 6502

Re: Viewing PC photos on a Mac

i went to art school, and it really depends on the major.

graphic design tends to favor macs
    architecture is pc
    3d uses every platform available

regardless of the computer, its the artist that makes good art. make sure he has great manual skills and regardless of which platform he uses, he will do good

9. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Viewing PC photos on a Mac

This is very true as Graphic Designers normally use Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Freehand, QuarkXpress or InDesign, as well as others.
    Architecture mainly uses, I assume as i was an Architectural Engineering Major before switching to Graphics, AutoCad for their major work.

As for 3D i am not sure as i have not ventured into this field.

All in all i have used both systems and am happy with both in respect to what they do best, anything else that either system isn't optimized for runs average at best.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've heard of a few schools which "give away" PC laptops as part of their Graphic Design programmes. The schools generally don't have any clue as to what's going on in the real world. Most schools, of which I know, have Macs and suggest that the students have a Mac too.

Locally, Graphic Design, Animation, and Film are taught with Macs. 3D platforms are mixed and CAD is always done on PCs.

As far as photos go, they should be in JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg) or uncompressed TIFF (.tif or .tiff) format. If they're on CD-ROM, the CD-ROM should be created in ISO-9660 format to be compatible with both platforms.