Viewing streaming video on Intel iMac - seems impossible

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elvineet, Feb 5, 2006.

1. elvineet macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I have had my Intel iMac for a couple weeks now. I'm loving it except for the frustration with streaming video. I have tried using Camino, Firefox, Firefox for Intel Macs (Deer Park), and Safari. I have WMP installed, but none of these browsers can play streaming video on CNN.com. It just can't detect that I have WMP installed. :mad:

Also, I have DivX 6 for Mac installed and Quicktime just doesn't play DivX files. All I get is some stuttering sound and no video whatsoever. Any of you seasoned players got some advice?

Thanks.

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am not sure if this will help, but WMP is being discontinued and even MS recommends people switch to Flip4Mac

I installed it and it plays CNN videos just fine. It is worth a shot. Also remember to quit all your browsers when you install.

On divx, there is a few solutions; First, you should get VLC player. It can handle just about any media you throw at it.Link

3. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

Flip4Mac currently dose not work on the Intel machines.
    They say it will come eventually.

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

just one of the pitfalls of a new processor. I waited on switching to intel for this reason. In a few years everything will be straightened out. You'll just have to wait until flip4mac goes universal.

5. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

I do have VLC, Cellulo, and MPlayerOSX installed. I just want Quicktime to play DivX so I can use FrontRow...unless there's a way to use a movie player other than Quicktime with FrontRow.

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra