Viewing TV on the iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by volntitan, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volntitan macrumors 6502

Hey folks...

I was looking to get a hardware solution for my iMac. I was leaning towards the EyeTV 250. Even though it is around $200, I like the fact that the compression is done in the unit, not with software and the computer. Is it worth the extra $50 over the cost of the EyeTV Hybrid that is getting ready to be released? Also, I would like the ability to "digitize" old VHS stuff as well. Any recommendations of other units would be great also.

Help me spend my money!!!

2. nplima macrumors 6502a

hi

do you have any link to the products specs and/or where to buy?

thanks

3. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Will you take advantage of being able to view both "free over-the-air digital TV (DDT?)" and analog cable? If the answer is yes, then I'd lean towards the hybrid. If the answer is no, I'd lean towards the EyeTV 250.

All you need to digitize VHS tapes is coaxial in, which both units have.

4. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw they had a coaxial in, but for some reason on their website, when they compare the 2 units, they say the 250 can convert VHS and the Hybrid can't.

I don't really need to view over the air digital because I only have a iMac G5 and they say to view digital you need a dual processor.
    But I kind of lean towards the Hybrid for the "future" aspect of it. My only big issue is the fact that it does the compression in the computer via software as opposed to the 250, which does the compression within the unit, thus taking "pressure off" the computer. Is that really a big deal?

5. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

With the new 24" iMac this question is even more important. How do these solutions handle the upscaling, and how does it look when compared to say a good CRT television (non-HD)?

David

6. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the TV Mini or Micro by Migilia(sp)? It is certainly cheaper....

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.