viewing VCDs in X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rainman::|:|, Jun 2, 2002.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hey guys... been away for a bit, this is my busy time of year... but i got a question for everyone...

We just got a VCD of a recent popular movie, but are having problems viewing it. I heard VCD could be watched straight through QT, but i haven't had any luck with that-- the only files on the disc are very small and won't play. Maybe i'm doing something wrong...

have also tried looking for VCD viewers... there's only one out for X now, MacVCD X, which is expensive shareware... i'd like to keep this nice and free if i can :)

can anyone help? what's the procedure for using QT for these files? we've watched this on a PC with some crappy viewer, but at least it was free... but anyway we know the disc is good. i'm just confused, i've never worked with VCDs before... any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
    pnw

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: viewing VCDs in X

Under Mac OS X, Mac VCD is the only option... OS X can't read the VCD format correctly.

Alternatively, you can read it under OS 9.

arn

3. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hmm... thanks for the info Arn :) i was afraid of this... i think i've stripped QT off of classic for speed reasons... ah well, i'll figure something out--

thx again
    pnw