Viewing video files (source dvd/divx) on a pocket pc ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arnaud, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Arnaud macrumors 6502

So, I've got this HP iPaq 2485, running Windows Mobile, that I bought mainly to combine with a GPS receiver and use as a GPS solution. It works fine for that purpose.

I also use it for additional tasks, like checking the photos from my camera on the fly, Office small files, the other odd software, etc...

However, I'd like to be able to see videos when I'm away. What are the best formats, and the best tools to use? To see the video on the pda, and to convert them from dvd or divx source using the mac ?

NB: I'd like to avoid any PC-based solution. It's possible to use Windows on my mac, but I'd rather avoid it.

Any suggestions out there ? Thanks :)

2. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Google Handbrake - that's OSX universal. Use it to rip straight from DVD (or file) to .avi with mp3 sound.

Use TCMP as the player on the PPC - faster than WMP.

David

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player) was actually *just* finally replaced by the official release version on Monday (it had been a beta). Unfortunately, the release version is not free. The release version is called CorePlayer (I don't have it, at least yet...I still have TCPMP on my Axim). But it's absolutely fabulous, and they are strongly dedicated to delivering codecs for everything, including H.264 (which means that you can use Instant Handbrake and iSquint to convert the video as if it were for an iPod, manage it in iTunes, and then use it on your PocketPC!)

4. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, Orangezorki and Mkrishnan, thanks a lot for all these advices :)
    I'm glad to finally have some directions for video on my pda...

I'll check the TCPMP / CorePlayer soon; I already use Handbrake for encoding.

Last question, what do you think are the best settings under Handbrake, regarding size / bitrate etc... ?

Thanks again :)

Arnaud.

5. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

I might buy the new version, but TCPMP 0.72R1 (and others) can still be googled on the web.

If I like the beta, I'll consider the (not too expensive) full version.