viewpoint media player plugin for safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by icec0ld, Aug 28, 2006.

1. icec0ld macrumors member

anyone know where i can get a plugin for safari for viewpoint media player stuff? i'm trying to do the whole "build a car" on an automotive website and it says it needs viewpoint media player. thanks.

edit: the mimetype is specifically "application/x-mtx"

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try getting it from here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21531

Mmm, their site claims it's been installed on 60% of computers in the US. I'm astounded I've never heard of it.

EDIT: So I did some searching and it seems legitimate. On a whim I installed this plug-in...can you point me to any website that actually uses this technology, please? :eek:

3. icec0ld thread starter macrumors member

go to toyota.com and try to build an fj cruiser (that's why i need it). after install, i get the "you need to install viewpoint" even though i installed it... i'm also having a problem with niketown.com saying i need to upgrade my browser (i'm using a macbook with safari 2.0 and all my updates...) clearly something is awry :(

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the Nike site just wasn't updated itself for the latest Flash. I'm pretty sure I have the latest Flash. It should be fine once you click the ignore option.

As for Toyota, whenever I try to build that vehicle, I get forced to put in my ZIP code and get taken to this stupid on-lot dealer inventory search thing. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong....

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

Toyota's website has always given me problems too, when I tried to "build a vehicle." I am on a PC right now using FireFox and it crashes FF. I reported the error to Mozilla FireFox.

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

Strange that you are taken to the on-lot dealer. That never happens to me. I guess it depends on your Zip. Enter mine: 07110

Play around a bit: I get Firefox (Windows) to crash 100% of the time.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, it didn't crash for me, but it also didn't display in a usable manner (same results in FF and Safari). I lost interest and trashed the plugin. :eek: Wonder if I'm still part of the 60%. :D I'm surprised that Toyota would use this kind of junk on their website....

8. Frisco macrumors 68020

I agree that Toyota's site is poorly designed. Even on Internet Explorer (Windows obviously) it is ackward and choppy.