Vince Young

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 4, 2006.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Dang this kid rocks. In my opinion I think he is better than Michael Vick. Possibly one of the best games I have ever seen and definitly the best championship game I have seen. Way to go Texas!!!

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, he was impressive tonight.

But let's not forget: Vick-style QBs do NOT last long in the NFL. All that scrambling around might make for some interesting football, but the wear-and-tear of getting tackled by NFL linebackers and DBs adds up quickly. If you don't believe me, look at Kordell Stewart (if you can find him, that is) or where Michael Vick's career is headed (the toilet, since he can't pass and NFL defenses have figured out how to contain him).

In the NFL, QBs pass first, second, and third, and run only as a last resort.

3. Dandaman macrumors 6502

he really was a stud today. being from socal, i wanted sc to win, but it definitely was a very entertaining game to watch. hats off to the longhorns, they played a terrific game today. vince truly is the mvp of that team. you take him out of that lineup, that team is completely different.

daniel

4. Dandaman macrumors 6502

that's true. but i think vince looked a bit more like a mcnabb than a vick. big running qb that can throw the ball. but it seems like the nfl won't have to worry about him for at least another year, seeing that vince will probably stay for his senior year at UT.

daniel

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Maybe someday.......but you also have to look at how many Vick/Young type QB's are in the NFL playoffs.......scramblers???????? ZERO Not even Jake Plummer moves around like he used to. While it can be exciting in the NFL, it doesn't really get your team anywhere.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It gets them a shorter season. :D

I don't watch college ball much, but just watching parts of this game Young looked more composed in the pocket than Vick does. As Clay already mentioned, if Vick isn't careful he's gonna be Kordell v2.0 in another 3-4 years.

Lethal

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

He played remarkable tonight, I'll give him that. Like Clayj said, Vick style QBs definitely aren't as good as they were in college... I couldn't imagine Vince Young running through tackles against good NFL teams... Luckily for him he can read the field well and has accuracy (unlike Vick) on his throws which will make him a high pick in next years draft (not this year because I think he told the media he was staying in Texas for one more year)

8. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Being a Chicago Bear I can relate to the future Vick.... but I can't see him being Kordel 2.0 .... or maybe he will

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Vince Young is awesome... Just got back from the game :D :D :D

I hope he stays another year at Texas. It would really help us develop our next quarterback, and keep our status as #1.

Hook 'Em Horns! \m/

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The problem with vince young is that a lot of his talent is shown and a lot of his yardage is gained through Options and Option-type plays, as well as plays that are designed as QB draws. These type of plays don't fly in the NFL. No coach worth his job is going to risk getting his $7 million a year stud QB flattened by linebackers every other play.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That isn't saying much. Vick is only half a quarterback. The best scrambling/running QBs of all time had great arms and used their legs as an advantage, not a crutch. Elway, Young, Cunningham. And more recently McNabb and Culpepper.

Does this kid have talent? Definitely. But so did Ryan Leaf. At this point all be can say is that Vince Young has potential to be good, but it's way to early to tell how his career will go.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I guess you don't think highly of Jim Mora Jr. then. ;)

Lethal

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sounds like a fabulous game; since it was on at 1am and I had to go to work this morning, I've taped it (but couldn't avoid the score) :mad:

Young won't come out this year since he likely wouldn't go in the top 10 this year; most of the teams in there are set at QB or have a recent high pick and Leinart will go ahead of Young even after losing last night.

Young will wait til next year and then likely get flattened in the NFL; or converted to receiver... a la Randel El

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

young, with his inability to pass really well, may fall a few spots off of #1 pick according to analysts, right where the niners and raiders reside, and that's fine by me :)

i think the bay area teams (california) will probably have a couple of more bad seasons and get more high picks and then be a playoff force in the 2010s...or i hope if the rebuilding strategies of those teams is sound

it takes a few years to coordinate once you have some young, top college players into a professional football team with a consistent winning record