Price Advice Vintage Stickers Value

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

tevion5

What is the value of this set of Apple rainbow logo stickers?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

havokalien

About 10 on eBay

Not including shipping looks like around 10. I've been getting them free as I get old macs from people wanting to see their macs live on. So I hand them out a lot.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

tevion5

Thanks for the info, just don't want to bid over their value ;)

4. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

5. macrumors 6502

havokalien

Don't do that

I've given most of them out but email me and I'll try and get you a set. They were meant to be used, most people with new macs just left them with the handbook not knowing what they were.

6. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

You have some you could spare?

7. macrumors 68030

PinkyMacGodess

Somehow I ended up with a full sheet of NEXT stickers too. They were too cool to save unfortunately...

8. macrumors 6502

havokalien

Looking

Like I said I gave a lot out as I find them. My place is a mess from projects started and not finished.

9. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

Ok lmk if u find some : D

10. macrumors newbie

Can you actually buy them else where? How can you tell authenticity?

11. macrumors 6502

"Authenticity", it's a sticker. It sticks. It portrays a message. Looks authentic to me. ;)

Who cares. These posters, who cares if it's a "fake". Define fake. What's the difference. If it's produced well, it does the job. It goes on your wall, ads to the ambiance of the room it's placed in.

12. macrumors 6502

Fralle

So, if you paint a copy of the Mona Lisa, it looks genuine, it enhances your room, and is produced well, is it ok to sell? No I think not...! "Define fake"? Are you kidding? :confused:

13. macrumors 6502

I knew that was coming, I couldn't figure a way to say it when I posted the original reply.

There's a difference between a work of art and marketing materials produced in bulk, given away for free, in the first place.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Mona Lisa is a prime example. You can buy posters, paintings, pictures at will. All over the place.

14. macrumors 6502

Fralle

Why don't you realise these things matter to a collector? Do you think an art collector would be satisfied with buying a reproduction of an artwork? Don't you think authenticity matters to an apple collector? This is a thread for collectors, by collectors... :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 604

gkarris

There's a difference when it's a repro, vs. an original.

Posters made by Apple for Apple, of course, are worth more as they are originals even if they were "marketing materials given away for free".

Repros, not at all worth much. But then again, I own a bunch of repro stuff as I cannot afford the originals.

16. macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Mona Lisa versus an old Apple sticker?

Really?

17. macrumors 6502

Fralle

The discussion was if people cares if something is repro or an original. Of course you didn't understand that!! :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502

I remember some co-workers being flagged down by homosexuals who saw these stickers on their car and mistook them for gay pride stickers. I always wondered if that had any influence on them going to a monotone logo when Jobs returned.

19. macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I understand the discussion perfectly.

However, comparing a reproduction of one of the world's greatest artworks to a five-cent promotional sticker is ridiculous.

20. macrumors 6502

Fralle

Obviously not ;)

A reproduction is a reproduction. It doesn't matter if its a priceless artwork or a "simple" apple logo sticker...

21. macrumors 6502

..and how many times did Apple themselves have these stickers and similar items provisioned?

What about the varying quality of even the "authentic" ones, if you can call it that.

So, if the company that made stickers for Apple shipped 100,000 to the Cupertino warehouse and shipped 100,000 to Freds Computer Farm in west Texas, are the ones not shipped Cupertino then "fakes" or "reproductions"?

Big freaking deal.

Oh, and yes- I'm a collector, and yes I see this "thread" is "by collectors, for collectors".

Signed, limited series releases, I will argue against their "authenticity" all day, if that's what is being pushed. A copy of said poster that is being offered as a copy? Big deal. This is nothing new in the "collectors" realms. Car swap meets are loaded with ad slicks of the period. Many are separated pages from magazines, many are also really nice duplications, and in some cases re-created from scratch vector graphics.

OTOH, someone trying to hawk a Mona Lisa and claiming it's "authentic", as in "the" Mona Lisa, should probably be arrested. There is only one. Or the idiot that believed him deserves to be parted with their money.

But with these low hanging fruit stickers, there are so many of them it's not like they can be that hard to find. My point of "define fake" is, can you really tell in this case? It's not like the "real" ones are all marked with anything either.

22. Fralle, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

macrumors 6502

Fralle

Of course tdiaz, I agree with you in almost every point, Apple has provided stickers with every product since the apple II...they are not rare or valuable! That's not my point at all. My point is this:

I do not think its ok for a german, swedish or russian company, or any company at all besides "Apple" for that matter, to start producing rainbow logo stickers today and selling them as authentic. Thats my point. They might look just the same, but I wouldn't want them in my collection ok? I feel just the same about the posters or iPods or computers or any other product from Apple.

Is this so wrong guys? If I think authenticity is a big freaking deal, am I then a bad person? ;)

I would think most collectors would agree with me? And sorry tevion5 for hijacking your "thread"!

By the way, I do not understand all the use of " " in your reply...

23. macrumors 6502

havokalien

Stickers

If Apple decided to make rainbow stickers again my stand would be they were authentic. They had different manufacturers make stickers over time so plastic durability changes.

Authentic from Apple would be real as far as I'm concerned. It's just a sticker. It why real antiques don have molds to remake the item.

24. macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

It does matter. One is a priceless artifact and the other is a five cent sticker.

I get the fact that you want to collect the original; however, comparing it to the Mona Lisa is absurd.

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

tevion5

Ha, this old thread is still going! Saw it there on the top of the list, forgot I even started it! :D