Vintage Video of Movie Critics Siskel and Ebert Reviewing Apple Commercials Surfaces Online

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last week Apple commercials from the 1980s began resurfacing on YouTube channel EveryAppleAds, offering an extensive look at Apple advertising during that time period. Now, the same YouTube channel has uploaded a video of late film critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert reviewing similar ads.

The video appears to have been recorded at a special Apple event in 1986, as indicated by the Apple podium that Siskel stands behind. The two famous critics use the format of their then-popular film review show "Siskel & Ebert At The Movies", minus the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" rating system, to critique some of Apple's mid-80s commercials.

Siskel was particularly impressed with the ads, noting that while he usually only likes one out of every three films he sees, he liked all five of the Apple commercials.
    Additional vintage ads, including the ones Siskel and Ebert reviewed, can be found on EveryAppleAds' YouTube channel.

Article Link: Vintage Video of Movie Critics Siskel and Ebert Reviewing Apple Commercials Surfaces Online

2. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

1986 Blimey as i am english and i was 6 for this video i have no idea who these two are but the one with the grey wig hair piece made me chuckle the most was that the point as for the actual adverts bring back jeff and shadows

3. macrumors 68000

Living in the past will get you no where in the future!!!

cdmoore74

4. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Have they ever reviewed that into sequence? There's no way it'd get two thumbs up!

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

The past and the Internet are two of the weirdest places on Earth.

7. macrumors 6502

In this clip Roger Ebert looks just like Booji Boy.

8. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Amen.

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors newbie

11. macrumors 6502a

Careful now. He is Chicago-bread. That hair is real. We make 'em good and make 'em big.

[​IMG]
    Roger

[​IMG]
    Blago

[​IMG]
    O

12. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Gene Siskel was great. He died in 1999 from brain cancer so a lot of people have never heard of him.

13. macrumors 6502a

There're 2 best things on Earth: 80's and interstellar space travel.

14. macrumors newbie

It's been years

I still miss them and their reviews. I know Ebert was a massive Apple fanboy. I can remember seeing both of them, but never at the same, in the movie theatre where I used to work in downtown Chicago. They shook the world.

15. macrumors regular

snipper

You're not looking. The newspaper salesman and the delivery guy are black and yellow, there's two colored people on the terras and that's just in the 40 second intro.

16. macrumors 6502

Ignore the race baiters we have here, they're just looking for an argument and to completely derail the conversation.

17. macrumors newbie

Just a note, Oprah is from Mississippi originally, moved to Milwaukee, and at 14 moved to Nashville to live with her dad. She's been in Chicago for a while, but you can't claim her for her hair!

18. macrumors member

Great video. Both critics were very interesting. The idea that Apple makes ads also to reassure customers they have made the right choice 'after' buying an Apple product is still very true nowadays. It talks more to them than to new customers. People who don't own Apple products feel that in the ads and have the feeling of missing something that way. That's my take.