Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
I want to start converting my record collection to AAC now. Does anyone know of a smart way to do this?

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Enjoy the work.
I do most of my sound work on PCs.
It is a lot of fun cleaning up and improving old audio.
I use SonicFoundries NoiseReduction,BC and SoundForge to do this and it is a blast. If you can find a good(something with a good algorithm) click and pop (for scratches and dust) remover the difference can be amazing. I don’t know what Apple apps are out there, but there must be some good ones.
Don't cheat yourself on bit depth is you do plan to clean it up.

Have fun.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Well I'm mostly just concerned with getting the audio into the computer and splitting the tracks up. I don't even want to clean anything up all that much. I have an analog to firewire converter, but I need to import the audio into some sort of app that can split and label the tracks fairly easily.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
there probably is no app to do that with because every time there is a silence in a song, it imght think that it is a new song. technology wil be like that

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Ooo, ooo. I have this same question. Sorta.

I intend to input audio from tape cassettes (using a walkman and a wire). What programs can i use to save this audio as raw or aiff? Will the computer automatically do this for me? I'd prefer to do this in X but I can reboot (wah, i've been up 22 days). Also, are there any free programs that will do mild clean-up work on the audio?

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I did this with an iMic and Sound Studio. Overall it worked quite well, although there were a few problems. This is with an iBook 700.

In some of the songs, I found strange clicks, etc. that were definately not in the original vinyl. Also, for some reason on some of them the left channel was extremely quiet, and I ended up recording those albums again. It's possible there's something wrong with the stereo but I doubt it, as I've never noticed it before.

As for breaking up tracks, I found no automatic solution, although it seems like it is perfectly possible. However it wasn't that bad in Sound Studio. You just look at the preview, on the top of the window, click on the silent areas, and add markers. Then you must choose the menu item to separate the tracks.

I saved the files to AIFF, burned them to CDs in iTunes, and have now started ripping them to AAC.

I did try Griffin's free sound editing app, 'Final Vinyl', and found it to have a very unintuitive interface, slow, and unreliable. After my demo of Sound Studio ran out, I downloaded SPARK ME, at the suggestion of some one on the forums, and it looks pretty good.

Overall, I found the quality to be more than satisfactory, ( although I'm not an audiophile), and would definately do it again.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
OK, thanks for all the input guys. I think I found what I am looking for. It's called spin doctor from roxio, and lets me record the audio I want, then look at the wave file and highlight the areas that are tracks. I just type in a name for the songs, and I'm done. Thanks again!

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by jethroted
OK, thanks for all the input guys. I think I found what I am looking for. It's called spin doctor from roxio, and lets me record the audio I want, then look at the wave file and highlight the areas that are tracks. I just type in a name for the songs, and I'm done. Thanks again!

How exacaly do you break up the tracks? My dad bought spin doctor, and it shows the lines where the songs should be, but there was no way to actually save them as individual songs.

I know im going to feal stupid after someone answers this :rolleyes:

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Originally posted by Vlade
How exacaly do you break up the tracks? My dad bought spin doctor, and it shows the lines where the songs should be, but there was no way to actually save them as individual songs.

I know im going to feal stupid after someone answers this :rolleyes:

Well it shows the wave form right? You just highlight the area you want, and in the last option on the menu bar there should be something like "make track" or something. When you click on it, it places that track in your window (upper left) and lets you designate some more tracks. Then you just drag them from the window to your desktop, and it saves them as their own files. Sorry for the vague description, but I'm at work right now.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Here is a diagram.

Attachments

• roxio.jpg
    roxio.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 158
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.