Violence against women in the Middle East

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Dec 19, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Hmmm... this sounds awfully familiar somehow....:rolleyes:

3. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Did I miss another thread? If so, I'm sorry - I didn't notice it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm.... :confused: Thanks for the randomness, batman? At least post a link if you want discussion of a story. Are you talking about that woman on the bus in Jerusalem who was apparently beaten by Orthodox Jews? I found the story sandwiched in between one about a woman being beaten up on a bus in Ontario and one about a woman being beaten up on a bus in Glasgow....

5. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Man, no link and I miss an earlier thread (or is Xander talking about something else?)...I'm having some serious issues today....I need to work on getting more sleep or not post while watching the Simpsons...

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I think he's refering to Rosa Parks.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks for the link, nbs2. Un... frickin' ... believable.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

this is not necessarily the same deal as what happened in the US during the civil rights movement. there are some obvious similarities, but the incident that occured in america dealt with, primarily, the oppresion of a race. this current event has to do with the treatment of a gender. the culture and viewpoint of the peoples of that region are very different from what we are familiar with. on another note, even if america did deal with with a somewhat similiar incident as this one some 40 years ago, this country definitely did not take care of it soon enough. still hasnt all the way either

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So what's new? :confused: :rolleyes:

(Good book. I haven't read this one though.)

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Violence against women doesn't just happen in one region of the world... it happens everywhere and all too often.

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Any kind of violence is deplorable, regardless of sex.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Funny thing, I heard "Face Down" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus on the radio today and took a few minutes pause to reflect.

Good song, by the way

As far as women in the middle east goes...I read two interesting books in a course I took in school this fall on the topic. First, while it deals mostly with India, Sultana's Dream offers a good amount of insight into another world.

For a more middle eastern perspective, Persepolis is insightful in a short format.

Things need to change drastically in the middle east, however much of misogyny is rooted in religion and ancient custom, which, as we can see in the U.S. is a very hard nut to crack.

14. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Anytime you shift culture, there will always be a change in the dynamic of oppression. Even in the most open society imaginable, there will be some form of oppression (oppression of those who would oppress?).

My concern was that 1) there was little to no international coverage of the incident; 2) this happened to a tourist; 3) this happened to an American tourist, yet the American media and government seem to have no response; 4) people complain about the treatment of women in neighboring Muslin countries, yet this seems to be ignored. My biggest issue is with #3. I always expected that my government would stand up for me, no matter where I was. I'm brown, and I think I would (based on media coverage) easily be able to incur the wrath of the Israeli Occupation Forces. I would love to pull out my US passport and walk into the US embassy a little worse for the wear, and have my government defend my right to tour (for example) Bethlehem. Apparently, that would never happen.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Utterly disgusting. A gang assault on a woman just because she won't do as she's told?

Change that to f**king disgusting. No excuses.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Violence against women does indeed happen everywhere far too frequently. Just one instance I've run across here, being a stone's through from Southern California.

Unfortunately one of the side effects of our invasion of Iraq is a significant rollback of women's rights there, such that many women are now afraid to be on the street alone for fear of violence against them.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Ironically this happens in the US all the time. I'm pretty sure that lots of AW are getting beaten and killed, just that our newspaper love prettifying everything here in the States.

We aren't any different here than over there IMHO. Just that we do it more politely and without gun control.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I really dont see how the "invasion" had anything to do with womens rights.
    Womens rights were in the can long before any US soldier got there.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Women had more rights in pre war Iraq than in most any other Muslim country.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Inform yourself before you post such nonsense next time, OK? Thanks.

On a related note, here is further proof of just how little many purportedly patriotic, troop-supportin', 'Mer'cans actually know about the country we invaded and occupied. Sad, really.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I believe that it's called jingoism... J-I-N-G-O...

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And in case you didn't get your donut when the iron bus rolled by... this article is also about Israel and not Iraq ....

23. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

You can tell who read the article and who just saw my original post (or thread title) and glossed through the rest of the thread.

And that is why I like the slightly ambiguous thread titles and OPs for the PRS. Here, you can let your generalizations run wild...;)

24. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Wayhey, I get it now. You mention 'violence against women' and 'Middle East' thinking that everyone will automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be referring to Islamic based violence against women, but you fool everyone by pointing out it was a few nutter jews (who are now being sought by the police as this sort of violence is considered common assault and is illegal in Israel, as it is in all Western democracies) who slapped a woman around on a bus

This is interesting.

You thought/hoped that people would make the conclusion it was Islamic violence. This begs the question why you thought people would make this assumption. My guess is that it would be a fair guess due to the extreme nature of violence and repression against women in many Islamic countries, from Iran to Indonesia.

It appears that you want to make the statement, "hey, even religious jews can be violent against women, it's not just muslims.

It could be construed that you are thereby trying to mitigate the horror perpetrated against women in the name of Islam by comparing it to the petty example you have posted.

All over the world, under the guise of Sharia Law women are murdered, mutilated, humiliated and oppressed in Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Africa. Publicly beaten or even sent back into a burning building to die, or murdered for the crime of educating their girls. None of this is illegal it is all government sanctioned in one way or another.

Really, it would be better to say nothing than to trivialise violence against women.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're going to jump on that soapbox, I'm going to have to call you out and ask why violence against anyone (who might not be a woman) is acceptable.