Virex and your CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nate, Feb 16, 2005.

1. nate macrumors member

I've noticed that my CPU has been running over time for a long while, especially every time I hooked up to the net.

At first, I wasn't sure what was up. When I opened up activity monitor, I noticed a few programs that were blasting my CPU up to 100% usage. Making my powerbook hot, and the fan would rattle away. Well, at least I assume that ticking sound on my powerbook is the fan... it ticks and rattles when it gets really hot.

After trial and error, I realized the problem was Virex. Virex was running several programs in the background, and even more programs were engaged once I plugged into the net.

In my Virex options, Active virus protection was turned on. After turning it off, I watched as my CPU usage drop, and so did the heat. I also noticed that my programs are working a little faster. Not only did I have more CPU power to spare, I had more RAM space, too.

So, if you noticed that something is making your CPU work overtime, you may want to check Virex and turn off the automatic updates and active virus protection options.

I'm not too worried about getting a virus. I've had my Mac for a year and I've never caught any virus, while my Window-user friends have.

I can still turn on Virex and scan for viruses whenever I feel like it, of course, but I don't have to be as paranoid on a Mac as I would on a Windows machine.

I hope this tip helps someone out.

--nate :)

PS I have a 15" Powerbook G4 @1GHz with 768 RAM

2. ladymac392 macrumors newbie

Anti-Viruse Question

How do you like the Vitrex on your mac beside the storage problems and temperature? Does it protect pretty good?
    Thanks
    ladymac392

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

actually u don't need it.
    Right now it's just to make sure u don't pass on viri to windows users, so you might as wel not use it ;) .

Cheers

4. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Virex is both pointless and waistful. No Mac user needs it as of yet because there are no viruses for the Mac, Virex just uses up CPU and ram resources.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The need for AV software was actually covered quite well just a couple of weeks ago... ;)