Virex anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robotrenegade, Jun 20, 2005.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can apparently 'down'grade by downloading 7.2 (definitions are up to date) which is Tiger friendly

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I had 7.5 but downgraded to 7.2 when I installed Tiger...
    but have just discovered they have taken the app off .Mac?

They are keeping up-todate DAT files there - but not the app?

Anyone know what is going on?

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That is a great question......

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

to be sure that you dont pass things on to windows users that you may know, and because some day we will eventually need it.

haha i bet .mac subscription goes through the roof the day that there is the first OS X virus

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

If I pass anything on to Windows users, even ones I know, they deserve it for using Windows and not being protected (or just for using Windows ;) ). I don't think we will have to worry about a virus for a very long time, if ever. OS X doesn't have any of the security holes that Windows does. It would be far too easy to shut a potential virus down.

8. iCe Cube macrumors regular

There is no need for you to question why people do things. The person asks a question for facts, not an opinion that without a doubt makes him feel bad. Anyway, there may be a reason to have virex but of course you would know wouldn't you? (don't speak if you have got nothing good to say) ;) :p

sorry I just had to get that one out!

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I must admit I do get slightlly tired of the these sort of questions in here all the time. I don't question why people use other sorts of apps / games / whether they use openoffice vs Microsoft Office: Mac...
    whether they use one style of app over another, or even whether they need to use any system maintanence apps or not.

I for one do not want to pass on any nasties to friends or strangers! Some people already don't like Macs (which is their right) but if I spread problems to others then I'm sure they won't be particularly happy.

When someone I know is possibly at risk or danger or disease, then of course I would tell them and help them avoid problems... and the same goes for with computers. I personally think it is net etiquette / and my own personal responsibility. If I am on line - and if I sent people files / emails / etc then I would like them to be able to trust the source. To know that what I am sending them is safe... regardless of what operating system they currently use.

When I was on a Windoz system and a friend often unknowingly sent me a virus or other nasty - I would also be decent - and email them back asking if there were aware of their problem - and help if I could.

That is why (amongst other reasons - that I won't go into) I am keen to keep an anti virus app on my Mac. It might be naive... but I'm allowed to.

Sorry for my rant. This wasn't intended to be directed at anyone in particular. When I switched I was worried about being open (when there was at that stage no need to be worried), but now I prefer to have an anti virus app for myself and my friends.