Virex: Anybody Else have this issue?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mowogg, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I found that recently when playing Call of Duty or MoHAA Breakthrough, the games would stutter and be herky-jerky. It was both online and single player, so I ruled out any network issues.
    I ran Activity Monitor and found that Virex was running a bacxkground scanning app. I had recently upgraded to Virex 7.5 (a perk of dot-mac) and was unaware that it had this activated by default. Once I turned off the background scan, everything worked fine.
    I'm on a 1.8 single G5 with a gig of ram so both games run fantastic. If anybody else is experiencing issues with games, or other apps, running funky after ugrading to Virex, you might find this useful.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I heard that Apple pulled the 7.5 updater. Maybe it's more sinister than you think. :eek:

3. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

I have the stand alone version from NAI(using my company's grant number) and have not had an issue with games or anything else.

4. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

That may be the case. Perhaps I'll down-grade back to 7.2.1. Just how necessary is it to have the latest and greatest anti-virus software on a Mac as long as I keep the def files upgraded.

Thanks for the input!

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Virii on the Mac. Puh. Now that's funny! lol. :D