virex problems in tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chibianh, Apr 24, 2005.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001
    Has anyone successfully gotten Virex 7.5.1 to work with Tiger? When I installed Virex and rebooted, my cpu would be taxed 100% all the time and my internet connection would stop working. Even after uninstalling Virex I would still have the same problems. I have since reinstalled the OS but haven't reinstalled Virex. Just wondering if others have had successes. Thanks.
  2. JamSoft macrumors member

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Virex is HORRIBLE!

it trashes every system I've ever put it on, and it never works.

my advice — stay away from it, faaaaaaar away.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I have Virex on both my Macs - never had a problem (like the majority of users) so take that statement that it "trashes every system" with a grain of salt. Having said that, as I do not have 10.4 yet I cannot comment on any compatibility issues that may exist with the new OS. But if there are problems, I suspect there will be a patch available on (or very shortly after) the *official* launch date of 10.4....oh yeah!
  4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    That doesn't answer the question. From what I've read, Virex is still better than Norton. Intego is probably the best, but Virex is what we get from .Mac.

I, for one, have to run an AV on my Mac if I want to connect to the network. The IT guys make us if we're going to use their bandwidth.
  5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Virex is good.... although if you do have it running in the background it will interfer with FCP :mad:
  6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm sorry, I'm a Mac user so you'll have to tell me what a virus is and why you're installing software to combat them.
  7. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Well, if you read the posts, you'd know. Some IT departments won't let you connect your Mac to their network unless you demonstrate that you have virus protection, no exceptions. And no, they don't accept "But there is no virus for the Mac".

BTW, it appears that .Mac is dropping Virex going forward, since it doesn't support Tiger. That's from a very recent Appleinsider article (.Mac is supposed to be re-launched Friday April 29th with Tiger).
  8. NevadaJack macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Virex not supported

I read something yesterday that Apple is phasing out Virex and that it is not supported in Tiger. Perhaps it was on Apple Insider and their item on .MAC 3.0 release coming up.
  9. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I was surfing around .Mac earlier and noticed they have changed the Virex links and pages.
    The incompatibility of Tiger and Virex 7.5 is widely reported but they are now saying Tiger and 7.2.1 are fine.

Anyone else downloaded it?