Virex Won't Scan Or Clean Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sasha3, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Sasha3 macrumors member

For the very first time a Virex Alert popped up so I clicked "clean" but it reported nothing was done. Checked the log that said no files could be scanned because of errors 2 or 10. Since the problem was in my home/library I tried again to no avail. The offender is Exploit-ByteVerify trojan.
    Have Virex 7 with latest update on an iMac G4 17" flat panel running 10.3.8. Anyone know what harboring this bug might portend for me or how I can eliminate it? Yes, I have tried the McAfee site which is always an exercise in frustrating futility.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Exploit-ByteVerify
    Just in case you already haven't found out what it is you're dealing with. I don't know what's wrong with your Virex, though.

Most likely this means that you have visited a site with a Java Applet that is infected with this Windows virus, and the code for the Java Applet has been cached in your Library. This should not be dangerous to your Mac, but you should still try to get Virex to work properly.

3. Sasha3 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. That is what I needed to know. Come to think of it, Java was mentioned over and over in the log. Now if I can only get somewhere with McAfee to find out why the repair did not happen.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that it would be funny if after years of being virus free, suddenly if a Mac virus appears, it comes out that Virex and Norton tools for OS X are nothing but smoke and mirrors. Dummy apps with no real functionality since no functionality was required to keep the Mac secure from viruses.

5. Sasha3 thread starter macrumors member

Very funny Mr. Stoid-a reference to R. Crumb there-and that is a good point.