Virgin Media will cut 2,200 jobs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

There goes another big chunk of jobs :(

2. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Ouch. I guess all the big companies are cutting jobs now... it must be the new thing.

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh bugger! Thing is Virgin has a much nicer public image than Sky and more content than Freeview, we're likely to go with them when me and the girlfriend get a place together.

Hope the service doesn't falter and hope those 2,200 get jobs swiftly.

4. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I wouldn't suggest it, I've found Virgin to be bandwidth nit pickers, if you so happen to go over 350mb downloads a week, you get limited to 512k, then over another limit (that I haven't worked out), you get put to just over dial up speeds. Virgin are horrific for customer service too, very rude and obnoxious.

5. macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You'd be insanely f***ed then if you played World of WarCraft.

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They're not nitpicking, and the extent of "capping" isn't down to chance. Their throttling policy has been around for quite a while and is documented.

"Traffic management".

7. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I didn't say the capping was down to chance :confused: I'm just saying their bandwidth policy isn't exactly great and that the connection isn't reliable.

I know that it's been that way a while, we've been with them a while... we're waiting to jump ship once the contracts up...

Hopefully BT will be more reliable.

EDIT: I didn't know they finally put up the actual amounts you need to download before you get capped, that's handy.

A few nights of xbox live and general internet browsing is easily enough to push it over...

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

Then I'll stick to Freeview and one of them godly awesome lesser-known ISPs who are friendly to pirates (not that I'm a pirate, but I do a lot of iPlayer and online gaming).

9. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

iPlayer through the Virgin TV box is great. It's much better quality than on the computer and doesn't hammer your bandwidth allowance.

10. macrumors 65816

I love how cutting jobs to ensure future earnings basically just means the remaining employees workload just doubled without a raise.

11. macrumors newbie

THE AMERICAN WAY