Virgin.net with Mac? (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VMAn, Dec 7, 2006.

1. VMAn macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anybody on here know if the Virgin.net broadband is compatible with Mac, in particular a Macbook?

Thanks.

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

If it's compatible with a router, it must be compatible with a Mac. Try their FAQ.

3. Gee macrumors 65816

Pretty much all broadband providers are Mac compatible. Off the top of my head, the only thing you should make sure is that (a) if they give you a USB modem, it comes with Mac drivers, or (b) if you get a wireless modem, it can be set up using a browser not by some pc-only installer program. Make sense?

Actually, you don't really want a USB modem at all anyway - the whole point of a laptop is being able to be wireless and a USB one will obviously need to be plugged into your mac.

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Yes, as the poster above suggests, you could try RTFM! I did it for you....

From the Virgin.net website:What will I need?

Minimum Mac requirements:

PowerPC 601 or equivalent
    200Mhz
    32 MB
    Two-speed CD-ROM player
    Video driver/display 800 x 600, 256 colours
    100 MB free on hard drive
    Mac OS 8.6-9.2, 10.1-10.4 (Mac OS 10.0 is not supported).
    There is currently no driver support for Intel based Macs.
    Spare USB port

This is related to my post above - it looks like the package comes with a USB modem and that there are no drivers available for it yet for Macbooks. Which means that out of the box it won't work.

However, as I said, you won't want to use the modem they send you anyway, as it defeats the object of having a portable, so you could easily buy a cheap wireless modem/router to replace it - they're start at about £50.

Or try another broadband provider....

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm betting they use a Speedtouch modem. Pipex gave us one of them, if I want to go online on my iMac I have to either boot in Windows or connect through the other computer over Airport.

6. VMAn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's a Speedtouch one - looks like I'll buy a new modem / wireless router (which I was gonna get anyway) so it shouldn't be a problem. I was in two minds between Airport Express or a new modem/router so thats my mind made up now!

Thanks for all the help people.