Virgin tries to compete with the iPod mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stoid, Oct 12, 2004.

1. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    C-Net article

I'm thinking (hoping) Apple is going to be giving the mini a spec boost soon to push it through the roof for the Christmas buying season.
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    That title had my mind wondering how exactly she (and maybe he just to be PC) might be doing that...
  3. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    From the article:

WMA being an open format. :rolleyes:

the choice of music services is overrated. similar libraries, similar prices and in the end, the same song. :rolleyes:

again, the hip factor and the interface will probably keep iPod mini in the lead. 1 more GB won't do much good if it's hard to use.

tuner is a good touch, as is dual headphone jack. (sort of.) but the thing is UGLY.

also, it's gonna feel less "solid" than the iPod mini. the weight is less but the volume is almost 50% more so i'd bet that it will feel airy and "cheap." (in fact, it's not much smaller than the 20 GB iPod - 5.6 cubic inches.)

iPod mini - 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5 = 3.6 cubic inches, 3.6 oz.
    virgin - 3.78 x 2.23 x 0.62 = 5.23 cubic inches (+45%), 3.1 oz.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    That truly is ugly. I mean really, i would not want to spend over 100 dollars on that thing. Plus as the guy above me said (about the volume), i like a solid feeling player. I want it light, but not feel cheap. The Mini does just that. Plus who can beat the "ipod" name?
  5. macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    they are clearly out to get apple.

also is there anything that virgin doesnt do?

the thing looks as ugly as hell and that scroll wheel thing look quite like the one off the 3g ipod but its square!
  6. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    it's not even a scroll wheel. from the description on their webpage, it's just an up/down button - you push harder to make the scroll go faster. :rolleyes:

it's gonna be really, REALLY hard to beat apple's interface. wheel design is just about the best there is, there's ample reason why from the human interface design perspectives. as long as apple got a (rightful) patent on it, it'll take more than just "me-too!" copying to beat it.
  7. macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    man that is ugly , maybe they can make a truck load and send em all into space with there virgin galactic thingy :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    looks like an ugly brick sony ericsson phone my sister used to have. It almost looks like it could have changeable face-plates with the way the front is designed.
  9. Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004