Virginia gets tough on Spammers....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/04/30/fighting.spam.ap/index.html

nternet mavens who clog computers with massive volumes of unsolicited e-mail pitches now risk landing in prison and losing their riches under a tough Virginia law signed Tuesday.

Although about half the states have anti-spam laws, no other allows authorities to seize the assets earned from spamming while imposing up to five years in prison, said Gov. Mark R. Warner.

Ha, I wonder if we could ever enforce this on MacRumor's spammers....;)

D

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's sort of funny that to see this...

[​IMG]

... and realize that a lot of these ISPs will use these laws to write into their EULAs ways for them to "fine" users for breaking the VA law.

So by the time the VA courts act, the ISP will have already nailed the company with a big fine and have been well into the collection process by the time the court gets to seizing any assets.

3. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Anything that gets these stupid spammers thinking twice is a good thing. I wish I could slash their face with razor wire.:mad:

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But the interesting thing is to see what happens with the free email services.....will this have an effect on hotmail, for instance.

And as a resident of VA, I don't know if anything will change soon, but I'll be watching out for who gets hit first. It should be interesting to see what happens.

Oh, and its kind of funny, Mark Warner has his private residence in Old Town several blocks from my house. I walk by there all the time.

D

5. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well ok this is kind of related... anyone else notice how MAD the ISP's pretend to be about spam in general, yet they're the ones doing a great deal of it? AOL sold my email address before i could even give it to anyone. Yahoo and Hotmail as well. So why are they all complaining about it now? are they the only ones allowed to screw over their customers?

this law is good tho, it just needs to be a federal law. and enforced.

pnw

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

i cant stand spam!

i used to get a ton of it. but recently since i swithced ISPs i dont hardly get any, except some from AOL because i made an AIM name. yet, like paul said, they are one of the "anti-spammers", but i still get spam from them. :eek:

8. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

WOW:eek: That was harsh.

I say lock them up for five years and make them read spam mail for 13 hours a day, seven days a week. And while we are at it, force them to use a 8 inch monochrome monitor, that has burnt in bars on the screen.

That is punishment enough!