Virtua Fighter 5 review

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Feb 21, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

It's only 720p. Not sure why my Japanese friend says it's 1080p unless they released a different version there.

The graphics are perfect and the framerate is excellent at 720p. it never skips a beat. My only complaint is the load screen. It's quite fast (only a few seconds) but the framerate slows to 1 fps while loading. That sounds like lazy programming to me. You can tell when challenging virtual players in the arcade and their costume window slides onto the screen rather jerkily while the load process goes on. Ick. I hate lazy programming.

Everything else is fantastic. It's a fun fighting game, and if you have 5.1/7.1 surround you're in for a treat with the audio. It's excellent. I've not seen any graphic glitches or tears yet, either.

As with most fighting games, it's a rental. I mean really.. who buys these things? I only did because I have friends coming from California next month and we'll need some 2 player games to play. This gives me time to practice. :)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sweet. Mine shipped yesterday from USA - so I'm looking forward to playing this.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm a big fan of gaming, and i love fighting games. my favorite franchises are street fighter and tekken. in the past few years, i've collected over ten street fighter games and many in the tekken series. as my friends and i are not big on first person shooters, we enjoy multiplayer gaming via fighting games, in particular tekken 5. i'm really looking forward to tekken 6. does it justify the cost of a ps3? maybe not, but a friend of mine already has one, so i imagine a lot of late nights when the game comes out. there is still a market for fighting games.

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I just got this game yesterday. I was looking forward to it for months now. I enjoyed it but I was a little dissapointed. I thought it was a little buggy and the AI was horrible. I have been desperate for a new game to play on my PS3. Overall I did like the game but it isn't worth 60 bucks. I enjoyed DOA4 much more than VF5. If you want to pick it up I would recommend to rent it first or wait until it goes on sale.

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

IGN seems to think you can go to at least 1080i and that the info on the back of the box is wrong. So what's the real story? I'm one of the "proud" few who has an HDTV that can't do 720p on the component or HDMI inputs (thank you panasonic).

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Well, Resistance: Fall of Man is a 720p game, and on my 1080i TV i can play it at either 720p or 1080i. It has noticeably better video quality at 720p, but has a bit of a black border around it. I guess PS3 can convert 720p to 1080i, and if I do this, it fills the screen. However, there were reports in the past that PS3 can only do this for TVs that support 720p. There may have been a firmware update since then to fix this, but if there has, I haven't heard about it.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I think it's the bare basic upscaling they introduced in the last ps3 firmware update.

Both titles are still 720p.

I don't mind, if a 720p game looks great and has some decent anti aliasing on show, they look just as good as a 1080p game.

8. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I work for Panasonic, so don't blame us! :p If you have a CRT type then it won't do 720p. No CRTs that I know of do. I had a Sony with the same problem and then I upgraded to a 1080p set. I could have got quite the discount on Panasonic's 1080p DLP but the reviews said it was kinda poor so I paid $800 more for the same size Sony. :/

9. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

DOA is a fun series, and I also like Soul Calibur. 2 and 3 were great fun.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

11. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

No it's supposed to be a port of the arcade version, so online play wouldn't do. (So the excuse goes.) There is nothing online at all about it. Since Live on the 360 demands some form of online play, and Sega refuses to do online with a game like this, I imagine it'll be something lame where you trade items with your friends or something.

You can do "quest" mode where you challenge virtual players at arcades and get items and things you can equip your character with for different looks. It's a lame attempt to add some form of "completion" to the game.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Is there another "bonus" stage after the metal looking being in arcade mode? I lost to it and had no option to continue, but i did get to see the credits :p

Overall its a fun game, imo its got replay value going for it when you just want a quick fun game or have some friends over.

This displays in 720p for me, I don't think they made use of the scaler. Sonic scales to 1080, this one doesnt.

Ed

13. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Well my friend said that his box in Japan says 1080p on it, so that's weird.

IGN's review says you can play it at 1080i.

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I haven't played a VF game since VF 2 on Sega Saturn :eek: Maybe i should give it another go! Problem is the video stores around here dont seem to get games for a while after release...oh well flOw it is until they do :D

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is Flow out already ? damn I best go and download it :)

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If flOw is out Im going home right now and dowload it...That game looks so good.

Bless

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:eek: I just checked, its not there at the moment 2ny....

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you didn't know it came out on the 22nd? I am surprised at you MRU ;)

It got a 7.8 from IGN, basically because it is short with little replay value. but for less than $10 bucks it seems worth it!

*sorry to steal the thread OP*

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It is the 22nd for me ? :confused: :D Damn time-zones ;)

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My copy arrived this morning. Loving it so far. The loading screens are weird though, how the background feels clunky. But in game it's wonderful.

Dare I say it looks slightly better than DOA4

21. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

I said that in my review! :p The background while loading gives off a lazy programming feel. They probably used some crappy program like flash or something to make it. Only losers write software in flash and think it's programming. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm sitting here on hold with the IRS and they have the loudest hold music I've ever heard. I should move to Ireland and I won't have that problem. :p

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont count on it. Getting in touch with any government body here is a nightmare, even local.

23. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes but there is no IRS. Now that's what I call awesome!

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Just 30% income taxation!

MRU: I hope you are joking about the VF5 graphics... DoA4 is a first-gen 360 game, I'd expect VF5 to visually destroy it! :D

25. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Isn't VF5 a first generation PS3 game? :p