Virtua Tennis 1080p NATIVE on 360.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 6, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Let this finally end the discussion.
    The 360 can do 1080p just like the PS3.
    Stop the FUD peeps.

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Me and friends spent endless hours on virtua tennis on the venerable dreamcast - I can't wait for this.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Lost Planet said the same thing until they were cornered by people, then they admitted that it was scaled. There is nothing in that article that says the words "native 1080p" on X360 and last time i checked "full-fat 1080p" sounds more like marketing hoopla than anything technically sound.

Ed

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

^ I could have sworn somebody just asked to stop the FUD

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I never dismissed it, only questioned when/if games would actually run in "native" 1080p, and also questioned Microsoft's initial comments regarding 1080p.
    Although this and Virtua Fighter are PS3 exclusives in Japan. (as far as I know)

This is good news for 360 fans who were hoping for native 1080p.
    But rendering 2-4 characters in 1080p is easer on such games.......as there is not as much environment to render.

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ed.. you really should be more open minded.

Yep that's what I've said all along with both the Ps3 & 360. The games we will see in 1080p will be the ones where theres not too huge amount of ploygons or geometry. Games like this, and beat em ups too.

I dont expect were going to see very complicated games running at 1080p on either the 360 or PS3 for a good while, if ever.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well well, I always figured it was perfectly possible... but didn't expect any company to bother.

I am a VT fan though, so I'll have to check it out.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Great to see that it's technically possible. Shame with the screen size and viewing distance I have I wouldn't notice much difference. :eek:

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

To be truthful theres probably not much difference between the 3, 720p/1080i/1080p when sat back in your sofa playing the game.

But at least it puts an end to that silly rivalry argument thats been going on since M$ updated the firmware to 1080p. It really was getting tiresome, maybe we can actually move on now and start discussing games and not hardware specs :)

10. darkwing macrumors 65816

There is a huge difference, but only if you look for it. I don't really care that the ps3 does 1080p and the 360 doesn't except that 360 people try to pass off the 360 as somehow better. It's a better buy now, but in a year? Probably not.

And the article still doesn't say it's native 1080p or not, MRU. :p Hopefully we will uncover this at some point. LP didn't really make it a point to advertise 1080p like VT3 is doing because they didn't want to let it be known it was scaled. It's likely this statement was released before all the crap hit the fan on that.

Frankly I hope it's true. All fanboy crap aside, I want Sony to beat MS. And stiff competition from MS on all fronts is hopefully going to make Sony get their act together.

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ no, this statement was released today.

Added to the fact the official statement says the 'first' game to run at 1080p pretty much says that it's native, as all the other games run at 1080p scaled. There's no need to start arguing over semantics.

In regards to Lost Planet they never officially announced 1080p support like Sega are doing, and it's not mentioned at all on Asian, Japan & European packaging. Only on USA packaging do capcom even have 1080p listed, which is where the query arose in the first place.

I think there's plenty of room in the market for 3 consoles (otherwise I wouldnt have bought them all ;) ) so whoever pulls out on top is not really a concern of mine. Like you say, a strong competition is better for the consumer because it means both / all companies have to step up their game. Resulting in better games & products for us all :)

12. darkwing macrumors 65816

Well, we'll see if it's scaled or not. There's no reason the 360 can't do a game like VT3 at 1080p because as stated earlier there isn't a lot of complexity in it. Of course, where is a tv that will play it? :p

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

out of the financial reach of most :D me included :(

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I think he's referring to that fact that many HDTV's didn't/don't support 1080p60 over component.

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

You are correct, sir!

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

True, but there's VGA as well I guess. I was thinking of buying a Dell 24" as they are on sale here at the moment, for both my 360 & PS3. That can do VGA & Component 1080p & for the ps3 hdmi-dvi...

But i need to find more justification. I already have 42" HDTV LCD, a HD capable Projector 720p/1080i upto 8' Screen, 26" HDTV, 17" HDTV. So i'm just making excuses to myself if I decide to add it to my CC :D

17. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Thats just great. Now all i'd like to know is.... why hasn't this game been announced for the Wii yet? After experiencing just how much fun tennis can be on the Wii, i'd never go back to playing it on a standard controller.

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Oh the joys of playing tennis with one's thumb. :p

<]=)

19. darkwing macrumors 65816

Lol maybe the PS3 version will have you grab the SIXAXIS by its cord and swing it around.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Wait, isn't the SixAxis cordless? ;)

21. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

wooo virtua tennis rocks, but i'll take wii sports tennis on any tv anyday

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Only if you plug in first :confused: But it's cordless - plugging it in defeats the point 0.o

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Damnit Janet. I found an excuse and ordered a Dell 24" for €800

Iritates me that theses are only $650-700 in USA and are selling for €800 here (and that's with 25% off the retail price. Normally €1149)

I pretended to myself it was needed for my mac pro :D bless.

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Dell 24" only 800? My god i'm half tempted to buy one... Must resist... must resist!!!