Virtual Boy Advance and ROMs

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ashley-wa, Jun 9, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I've left this thread due to the fact that the question on this thread was not eligible for this forum. Thanks.

2. Retired

psychofreak

It is illegal, and we can't discuss it here...

3. macrumors Core

Dagless

Hey does anyone know where I can download OSX Tiger for free?

OH wait it's illegal.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that its illegal. If you are going to be sarcastic then don't waste my time thanks. I have seen other threads that have people discussing emulators and emulator games. Thank you for notifying me that it isn't allowed to be discussed. I didn't realize that it wasn't a discussable matter. I judged the content of other posts before posting this. If it is becoming a problem I would suggest that there shouldn't be other threads to mislead people who are new to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm leaving this thread.

5. Retired

psychofreak

Before you do, show me ONE non-wastelanded thread where illegal links are given please...

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

For further reading - http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp. We're a very big forum, of course you'll get emulation talk on smaller forums. I doubt the admins want this place being sued or whatever ;)

7. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ashley; just so you know the legal status, I'll fill you in.

Emulators are legal. You are emulating existing hardware. No violation of copyright.

Roms are legal; the law permits you to back up things you own.

However, the same law that permits you to back up things you own prohibits you from transferring that backup to anyone else. Thus, it is illegal to download roms off the internet. You can buy the equipment and rip roms yourself legally as I do, or you can go download them illegally and not tell anyone, but it is against the terms of service to link to a site that distributes Roms illegally on Macrumors.

ESA, the ones that sue the rom sites, has a FAQ on their website.

Read this chunk:
    http://www.theesa.com/ip/anti_piracy_faq.php

I like the ESA a lot better than the RIAA, as they don't sue individuals, just the sites hosting.