Virtual Console Troubles

Discussion in 'Games' started by tjcampbell, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Hello,

I downloaded my first game on the virtual console for my Wii. I got Donkey Kong Country, but it wont play when connected via the hi res composite. When I load the game I get a green screen. I can hear the music playing though. I tried hooking the Wii up with rca cables that came with it and the game works, but this doesn't seem right. It doesn't say anywhere that it wont be compatible.
    Anyone else experience this?
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers, T

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You dont have a problem (apart from meaning 'component' rather than 'composite' ;) )

the Pal Wii does.

Yours, mine and many many others Wii's have problems outputing some VC games over component to a huge variety of TV's. For everyone 1 TV that works there seems to be 4 or 5 other models that do not.

This problem is only with PAL Wii VC games. It does not affect USA & Japanese Wii's which is probably why Nintendo never found this problem in testing.

Nintendo need to release a firmware update for the Wii to sort out this problem because it's hitting a large number of consumers.

So basically I'd advise you to wait until they do release a patch before spending any more money downloading VC games we can not play properly without messing about with cables.

:eek: Bad Wii.... go sit in the corner until you can behave

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Email Nintendo of Europe,

NintendoServiceCenter@codestorm.co.uk

The more we nag the more chances there are of it being fixed, fly into a fury of "broken games" demand money back etc, they'll fix it and you can demand compensation (in the form of Wii Points). Short of that it's just Europe being screwed over again.

4. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Okay, I've emailed Nintendo so let the badgering begin.

It really sucked when it happened cus my girlfriend was all impressed with how easy it was... then the game doesn't play!

I love my Wii though. Just waiting for a game to buy beyond Wii sports. Killing time with the virtual console, but that's not working out.

Guess I'll go back to the 360 for a bit till they sort this stuff.

Thanks for your help, Cheers, Tommy

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I emailed too, demanding a refund ;)

You never know, might get some free points :D

6. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

This is not 100% true. I had this very problem, and I have an American Wii & American TV. Also, the problem can be solved (at least in my case) by making sure you have the 480p option selected under TV resolution.

Doing this solved the problem for me. Now, the VC works just fine.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm sorry.:(

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No you dont have the problem because you have an AMERICAN wii.
    You are downloading NTSC version of games. NOT PAL Virtual Console games.

:rolleyes:

Putting a Pal machine in 480p component makes NO difference for the pal problems and does not solve the issue.

You solved the issue, because there really wasn't one to begin with - you just needed to choose 480p to suit the component output from the wii to your TV. Doing so on a PAL console does not.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. Certainly isnt. Why they couldnt have made the macihne region free and saved us all these problems.

Nintendo pi**es on Europe yet again.

11. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I emailed Nintendo a week or two ago regarding the fact that the Wii's SCART output remains active when in standby with WiiConnect24 enabled. This causes connected equipment to 'stick' to the Wii's output due to the SCART switching function. This problem doesn't exist when WiiConnect24's disabled.

They were very prompt in replying and said that there was a lot of effort going on at the moment to fix both this SCART problem and the issue with outputting to PAL TVs at certain resolutions with Virtual Console games. So, from the horse's mouth, it's being worked on right now :)

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU