Virtual Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simie, Aug 8, 2006.

1. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

After watching the WWDC06 and seeing spaces - I thought that surely someone must have already developed a virtual desktop system for OSX.
    Here is Desktop Manager.

Features

Have any number of named virtual 'screens' (up to available memory) to arrange your programs on. Have one screen to keep your mail programs, one for web-browsing, one for work. The possibilities are almost endless.
    Exciting switch transitions to make all your Windows/Linux using friends green with envy.
    Control switching via fully configurable 'hotkeys'.
    Get an instant overview of your desktops via a status-bar based 'pager'.
    Move windows around in desktops via a desktop-based 'pager'.
    Desktop pager compatible with CodeTek VirtualDesktop skins.
    Move windows between desktops easily via status-bar menu or Exposé-like 'Operations Menu'.
    Sticky window support - have one window on all desktops.
    Active edge support - switch desktop when the mouse moves past the edge of the screen.
    Desktop notification bezel - pops up on desktop switch to help you orient yourself.
    Current desktop name available on desktop background to help you keep track.
    Small, unobtrusive app - can be made to be totally invisible if you want. Designed to get out of your way and act like a part of the OS.

This is a really great application - window switching can be set so that the mouse only needs to move to the edge of the screen and you switch desktops, a variety of effects are available for switching like cube - warp - reveal and zoom plus alot more. It appears to be very stable.

2. uchuff macrumors member

I've been using Virtue Desktops for a while now, mainly to switch between regular OSX, full screen Parallels and full screen Remote Desktop.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

such a nice app. altho not UB, still works smoothly on my MB

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mouse trigger sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.. :(

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, mouse trigger works, just that it works in a very complicated way.:)

7. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah ,it is going to be great. I tried virtual desktop once but never felt that I had the need for it because of Expose....... but if it's incorporated into the OS, why not