Virtual Desktops in 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TwitchOSX, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

Before I upgraded to 10.4, I was using Desktop Manager which worked really well. Unfortunately, it doesnt work in 10.4 so I need something else free. I tried VirtueDesktop and it works but I cant get the pager to display at all which makes it useless. I have to go to the menu and choose a desktop from there. I cant find a preference to show or hide the pager so .. I dont know what to do with that program. Any thoughts on anything else free? Thanks,

Chris

2. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

You can set up keyboard and mouse triggers to change the desktop in VirtueDesktops. I don't use the pager, but it works for me...

3. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...

Yea.. I need the pager. I usually have 10 virtual desktops and visually, I need to scan the pager to see where I am going.. like if my mail app is in the upper left corner, I can see its icon up there in that desktop.. stuff like that. Still dont know why the pager doesnt work.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Umm, I'm using Desktop Manager (0.5.3 Universal) on my MBP running 10.4.7. Runs great no problems.

5. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Check the triggers under preferences and make sure it is set. My pager show on 'shift/control/a'

6. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Where exactly did you get this Universal version? I dont see it.

7. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Can't remember - wasn't an official release, but a recompile that someone else had done. A quick Google search found this, which has a download link:
    http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/index.php/t12363.html

8. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmmm

I figured out how to get the "sticky desktop overlay pager" but thats not that great. I want something in the upper right hand of my 2nd monitor that just shows the pager there.. out of the way. This sticky desktop overlay pager shows up in the middle of my main monitor.

9. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool!

Got the universal version now. Seems to work pretty well.. unfortunately, the window icons in the desktop pager dont show their respective application icons.

Thanks for the link though. Appreciate it.