Virtual DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jschultz, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I have .vob files and .ifo files in a folder, and it's an image of a DVD I want to watch. Is there a program that allows me to do this?

Thanks!

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've been able to burn a dvd image from iMovie and as long as it was mounted, the DVD player in OS X recognized it as a DVD.

3. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

ah, but I don't have iMovie ; (

Any shareware out there?

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Doesn't OS X have hdid (which is just a renamed version of hdiutil) built right in?

Jump to Terminal type in hdid /path/to/image

This works with DMGs, and I believe it works with ISOs, as well. I just tested this on a dmg image of a DVD movie and DVD Player picked it right up. I'll see if I have any ISOs to test.

EDIT: Uhm, for that matter, Disk Utility mounted images work as well, so long as the DVD media isn't physically in the drive. This didn't work for me at first, because I had the DVD media still in the drive. I guess I must have misread the question, but Disk Utility can create disc images from DVDs.

5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

All I was saying was DVD player was able to play a disk image, it just happened to be made with iMovie.

6. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

humm?:confused:

7. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

all i know is I have these files ending in .vob and such, and I want to play them w/o having a dvd disc

8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah, I modified what I said after I reread your question more (and did further quick tests). You shouldn't drag the files physically from the disc, you should use OS X's built in Disk Utility to create an image of a disc.

In general terms, a folder is not an image of a disc. An image of a disc is a virtual disc.

9. Jschultz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

But how would I do this?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That said, if you put all the VOB and IFO files in a VIDEO_TS folder you can point DVD Player at that and make it work. Command O, select the VIDEO_TS folder.

B

11. yoshe200 macrumors member

12. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

If you have the DVD still, then you place it in the drive, open Disk Utility.app (this resides /Applications/Utilties/Disk Utility.app) and you will see your drive in the sidebar list.

Select it (the top most option of your DVD), and click New Image. And, for most compatibility, choose "read-only" in the disc format. This will create a file the same size of the DVD in your drive (4.8 or 7.9 gigabytes, depending upon whether it's a single-layer or dual-layer disc).

You can then mount it by double clicking it and, so long as you don't have any DVD media in the drive, you should be able to select it with DVD Player (cmd-O and choosing the mounted disk image).

However, if you have a folder, you may be able to use VLC to play the DVD from that folder. I'm not sure if DVD Player supports this or not.

EDIT: Oh. DVD Player does support DVD Folders. Thanks for the clarification, balamw. I think I completely misread the question initially. :)

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just to clarify further.

VLC will play VOB anywhere, while DVD Player will only play them if they are in a folder named VIDEO_TS.

B

14. TonyTerjeson macrumors newbie

Virtual DVD drive?

Hey! get hand break, free program, takes dvds to mp4, mov, ext....

also takes .vob and other dvd files on your computer into mp4 and ext.....

QUOTE=Jschultz;3082990]I have .vob files and .ifo files in a folder, and it's an image of a DVD I want to watch. Is there a program that allows me to do this?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There's no point in converting a file that you can watch as-is unless you're planning to change mediums (to your iPod or whatever). VLC and DVD Player will handle these files like champs.

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is that for real?

Or a lame attempt to spam?
    Considering the use of language - yes.
    But I'm missing the plural apostrophe.

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's a real program, and also one that I would suggest, even if the other poster is linguistically impaired.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Agreed. Handbrake is a great tool, but lossy compression always degrades quality and so should only be used when necessary (i.e. for file size or device compatibility). It should also be noted that the recompression process takes time, even on a fast machine it can still take half an hour per movie.

B