Virtual Game Station (Connectix) anyone remember it? PSX emulator on Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Parris, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Parris macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2005

Does anyone remember the "Connectix VGS?" (A Sony Playstation 1 emulator for the G3 series of Mac). I am in the UK and own an original version of the software (V1.4) and an old iMac (333Mhz).

Out of curiosity I reinstalled the software and started tinkering with a couple of classic Sony PSX games titles.

Alien Trilogy was a bit juddery, however Abe's Oddworld ran as if on a PSX!

The audio setting must be pretty low quality on the iMac as the music tended to distort even when I reduced the volume on the control panel & game settings.

Now, I am intrigued by this software. I've read a few reviews, agree with most of them. I also read a lot on the law suit filed against Connectix by Sony and the final outcome (in Connectix favour), by which time the PS2 was almost due to launch, thus to avoid further law suits, Sony just bought up the company and eliminated VGS from history.

I ran out and bought a "Super Box 4" USB / PSX controller adaptor for the iMac and although it seems to register it's presence in the computer history, and the little power light comes on, I get no response from the Sony PSX controller.

Does anyone know whether a convertor exists to allow you to use a PSX controller on an old iMac? This seemed the prefect solution, but unfortunately not as the drivers are all PC based.

Does anyone have an old, spare PSX style controller (USB) that would work on the iMac?

Let me know if you are still a VGS enthusiast or user, I am mighty impressed with this emulator. I've used a few others in my time (generally based on MSdos and the PC platform), but a PS2 emulator for the iMac or my other PowerMac G4 (450Mhz) would be very, very interesting, especially if I could get an original Sony controller working with these systems.

Any advice?

Many thanks - Parris
  2. allegrocm macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    Ames, IA

I picked up a Logitech Dual Action at Best Buy for $20 US. Exact same button layout as the later PS2 controllers. It's got the dual analogs, but no rumble. I think they had a rumble version for $10US more. Only problem with it is the digital control pad is very prone to registering a diagnal press when you only want to go in one direction. This controller works excellently on NES and SNES emulators, especially if you've managd to come across that CD that has almost every NES game, and the similar CD for SNES :) I've also tried that playstation to USB adaptor, and couldn't get it to work on mac. in fact, it tripped some sort of protection device which disabled that USB port till I restarted!

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Waaaaaait a second.

Microsoft owns Connectix now, right?

Therefore, they own the emulator?

So, woulddn't they have the right to integrate that into the XBox 360 :eek: and have it play PS1 games?

It wouldn't gain them many converts but it would be darn funny.
  4. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    actually sony bought it, and promptly buried it.
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
  6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I have VGS, and used to play with it on my 266MHz iMac all the time. It ran very well, and the only problems I ever had were with my crappy Gravis USB gamepad - it looks like a playstation controller but it's soooooooo cheap.

When I got my G4 Tower I tried installing VGS but I could never get VGS to recognize my controller, and playing with the keyboard is awful so I gave up. I still have dozens of PS1 games so maybe someday I'll try again, in which case I'll probably get a new controller.

All my games ran fine except Gran Turismo 2 (excessive ghosting) and Crash Team Racing (crashed after the title screen). I think one of the Resident Evils had issues too, but I can't remember which.
  7. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    you've inspired me to download PCSX. unfortunately i gave my Playstation-esque controller to my girlfriend. and keys are no way to play emulated games.

if only my old PSX could recognize discs. stupid machine :(
  8. Parris thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2005
    Brilliant response!

Hi, I thought nobody would actually respond to my bletherings. Many thanks for doing so.

I agree totally with trying to use the emulator via keys, it's too complicated in most instances and totally alien if you are used to using PS1 or PS2 controllers. The USB port held fast, didn't trip and even fed the green LED on the unit, plus the analogue / digital red LED on the PS1 controller lit up, so it seems to just be a driver / recognition thing.

I don't suppose anyone out there ever used the same adaptor and wrote a driver for it did they? Nevermind.

As I have a PowerMac G4, I might try loading the emulator into that as I know of a few USB adaptors which will run under OSX. The original software struggles (apparently) on anything above OS9, so perhaps I will find a controller that works well, but an emulator, which doesn't. Typical!

There are a few PSX emulators for the PC, but I tried downloading one, installing it and configuring it to discover all sorts of compatibility issues. The beauty of the VGS was it has never failed me yet, was dead easy to install and although I can't seem to find a controller that works (keys it is then) it is flawless and simple.

Has anyone ever tried to find, or know of a PS2 emulator for the Mac? I doubt anything lower than a Dual G4 would manage to deal with it, but even a basic version would be of interest to see what the older G4's were capable of running.

Ho hum, glad that people remember the VGS so fondly and perhaps we could start an actual thread in the forum to encapsulate this topic and get others back into emulators for the Mac.

Sadly, after next year and Mac shifting away from Motorola processors, virtually none of this will be of any interest to the wider gaming world as Mac's will never be the same again! A totally different topic, but it will be kind of sad to see Mac's become PC's, yet they secretly have lived a double life for some time now.

Parris ;)
  9. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    and you've inspired me to try out PCSX here too! :) Like wow this is good s/w but i'm annoying to myself really cos i cannot get my fave games to run! I *love* PSX Doom along with the two Destruction Derby games also!

I've about another 30/40 games that all play too. Typical! Anyhow, Need For Speed (cant remember which now!) played well, but was a little slow. Test Drive 5 played perfectly. I wanna try the Twisted Metal series next... Alien Trilogy here plays great, shame it's sooo naff! Ohh teken too YEAH it plays superbly!!

Great thread - lots of great memories!!! :D
  10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    There isn't one. Anyway, you'd need about a 10GHz G5 to get anything like playable speeds even if there was one. The one or two that exist for the PC get fps in the low single digit range, not that they even play many commercial games, last I checked. The PS2 is not a trivial piece of hardware to emulate....

11. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2005
    Springfield Ohio
    yea i got the cvgs psx emulator on this mac in my sig and it run very nice
    i play all my psx games on this mac now i even started converting a old psx controller i got for $2 at a yard sale to hook to this mac. once i get the cpu uped to the sonnet G4 1000mhz it prolly will run every game at full speed.i can play gran turismo 1 at full speed sept for a few parts like when there is alot of cars on the screen.but yea it will play most games at a way above playable fps
  12. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Hey, if you want to use your PSX or PS2 controllers, I suggest getting a USB adapter from Radio Shack or Lik-Sang. Don't know if they're compatible in OS 9, but with OS X, I know plenty of people that use those adapters and are happy with them.
  13. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2004
    I remember that :D

I was just about to buy it off - I was still deciding. I went to Amazon the following day, only to find it removed from their listing. I was unaware of the legal problems that were going on between Connectix and Sony.

I never saw it again :(
  14. lordmac macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I love CVG i recently found my original install disc of it a few mouths ago digging through my desk drawers. Probably one the best emulators i've ever used in that it was stable and just worked. :) unfortunately you have to boot into OS 9 to use it wont work in just a classic environment within OS X :( . I have been hoping some clever programer will carbonize it similarly to how that guy (I forget his name rather famous for such things) carbonized duke nukem but alas i haven't heard of any one doing that and i don't nearly enough to do it my self.
  15. Nodeh macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2005
    SSM, Ontairo Canada
    haha yeah i remember that software, i actually own it, but i kinda stopped using it tho, cause i dont have all that much PS1 titles. but it was really usefully untill i bought my ps2 lol, but alot of the stuff is really choppy on there. aspecially the sound
  16. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I used to use Virtual Game Station alot on my old iMac. Hours of Fun! :)
    I used the Macally iShock game pad, it looks and has the same keys as the PlayStation controller.
    I haven't played it anymore because the program won't work in classic and I don't have any "native" Mac OS 9 Macs anymore! :(

Google image:

PM me if you want to buy this from me, I have no use for it anymore.

17. Parris thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2005
    Paul, I might be tempted to purchase that pad you have if it would work under OS9 and it's USB version. Let me know whether you have a paypal account and I could transfer. I'll reply to all the other posts later as just back from a trip to the isle of Arran visiting my folks.
  18. flotson macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2005
    osx controller blues

Could someone please recommend a usb game controller that works well in tiger? bonus points if you've also gotten it to work with either flarestorm or pcsx.

I've got a logictech dual action and, just as a previous poster stated, the d-pad left and right, in particular, tend to register as diagonal, or up and down presses. I'm so pissed. I had purchased a gravis gamepad for my imac 5 years ago, and was so disappointed in it--also didn't function quite right. sort of gave up on game controllers after that. until recently. now i feel that i got burned again. :mad:
  19. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    totally agree, i bought the gravis gamepad too (the one that looks similar to a psx pad). Still got it now and it does work with Tiger/PCSX and i use USB Overdrive, but the d-pad is naff.. I had an older joypad too (forget the name) and this also had a crap d-pad! Not much luck so i also gave up, i play mainly fps games now so i'm not too bothered.. But i've also some arcade games that i'd like to use with a decent joypad.

I think the PSX pad was the best (imho). The d-pad on this was superb, maybe because each of the 4 directions where a seperate button? I dunno but i'd like something of this quality anyhow!

Remember the Kernel Joyport? I've got one somewhere (if i can find it!). Wonder if it works with USB Overdrive - then i can connect the REAL psx pads i've got around here!! :)
  20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    I haven't used the Dual Action, but I've heard the Logitech Rumblepad 2 is quite a lot better. I do have the Rumblepad 2 and aside from the rumble (still) not working on OS X, it's fine. I'm not 100% satisfied with the d-pad, but that's just because of how it feels. It actually works fine, and does what you expect without any of that misregistering, but it just feels a little cheap to me. I've certainly used worse d-pads though. The gamepad has a button so you can swap the function of the left analog stick and the d-pad if you so desire.

21. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004

Hi there,
    I have a paypal account for transfer.
    I see that your out of country (USA), could you please send me an eMail or PM? (private message)