virtual girlfriend... wtf!

Discussion in 'Community' started by nizz, Aug 24, 2004.

1. nizz macrumors regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3591856.stm

that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read. are these people who are trying to make money off this stupid? or am i too stupid to see that there are tons of even stupidER people who will give them money?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the sad thing is that people will actually pay for this and for the "virtual gifts"
    its a scam but most people wont realize or care....

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are "arm" and "hugged" Japanese euphemisms? ;)

As far as the virtual girlfriends are concerned: men are used to shelling out money and getting nothing in return....

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Hee hee. :D

It says that if you neglect her it will refuse to speak. Can you sign up for the needy one that if you neglect her she tries harder?

Can you take over another player's girl by spending more money (or getting a nicer phone)? Nothing like getting the "It's not you, it's me" speech from a virtual person...

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just one more way to lose touch with reality....

Once it becomes truly interactive in a few decades, then there will be even bigger problems :D

D

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Until there would be true virtual reality, can't imagine this being satisfying in any way. When they say she will become angry if enough money isn't spent, then she won't speak. So how much has to be spent and will will the money be going? Spending money on flowers and candy is something physical and really does get a response. If the girl doesn't respond, then a breakup is in order.

7. friarbayliff macrumors regular

The crazy thing is that there are enough people interested in this kind of crap for this product to actually be marketable.

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

It's like a Tamogatchi that costs real money to keep alive and happy, except it's a pretty girl--and look how many people wasted time with the Tamogatchi. Marketing genius, whatever you want to say about the lives or social skills of anyone who'd actually use one.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It promotes great values, too!

"All you need is lots of money to keep your boy/girlfriend happy." :rolleyes:

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't believe this...

if this takes as much cash as they say... you'd be much better off (and much better 'rewarded' ;)) if you actually spent that money on a real person.

or seeing your shrink...

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I'll bet you hoped you were kidding. Even Microsoft is in on the action.

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

he he. :D yay, go Microsoft! hugging pillows. :rolleyes: yeah, right. hugging.

that's got to be very unhealthy for a persons mental wellbeing.

well, they might end up selling even more than the planned amount of those 'special edition' XBox's, say 2 or more per customer? the print will probably be worn off in no time at all... :eek:

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

this could be the most disturbing thing i have ever seen. dare i ask, do these hugging pillows have orifices? i always heard japanese had bizarre sexual fetishes, and this just goes along with that theory. can't you buy used panties in vending machines in japan?

14. el greenerino macrumors regular

Don't knock it, till you rock it.

I have a girlfriend, but she believes that women have the right to "think independently" or some crap like that, so I'm going with this thing when she puts me on the couch.

SARCASM

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I really don't get the impression that people in Japan are any kinkier than elsewhere, people are simply more open about it there. Besides, far stranger items than those pillows are sold in the west too.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Man, that one armed boyfriend was freaky. Remember it well. Seriously, a one armed boyfriend to keep you comfy at night?

Anyway, this sounds very dumb. Its like an empty candy machine that you keep putting coins into for no reason.

And no, this cartoon isn't hot. Cartoons aren't hot, period. Anyone who drools whenever they look at the cartoon on their mobile needs to get a life. And if you're going to waste money on a girl who won't talk to you unless you spend money, there's probably a few of those around in real life, and you may get laid....not "virtually" laid, but laid in reality. :eek: That way you won't spend money on air.

17. sonyrules macrumors regular

That is pretty bad, spend money on something that you will NEVER touch or fell. If anyone pays for that, they must have no life. Thats basicly like throwing money away...

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i know some programmer types who would go for her ;) way too many of them are too shy or lack the skills to ever get to know a real girl and since they are lost in tech, a virtual girl can meet them in their own environment

as crazy as this product seems, there are a lot of shy or shut in people who can only deal with a "person" this way

19. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There are also a bunch of people who aren't really the touchy types. It takes me a long time to feel comfortable with someone in close physical proximity.

Sex is great and wonderful but in general I can do without touching.

This system also avoids the ickiness inherent in RL. She will never be hormonal or bitchy or have a headache. She will never complain about listening to you prattle on about some stupid inanity and she will never bother you with her work life.

As they say you can't buy love, but you can rent it.

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    stupid people with too much time and money and no personality...

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

22. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

edited for accuracy

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

lol, point taken.