Virtual keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mirrorchild, Oct 13, 2006.

1. mirrorchild macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2006
    Is there anything like a virtual keyboard available for mac computers? Windows has this thing called 'onscreen keyboard', I like to know if there is anything similar in my macbook?
  2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    Don't think so. But this patent might indicate that we'll see one in Leopard.

Edit: Found some on
  3. iVersa macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2006
    London, UK
    There is one already, if you go into system preferences > international > Input menu > click "show input menu in menu bar" and tick the "keyboard viewer" above.

Then you can click the flag in the menu bar and show the onscreen keyboard.

I used it for 2 days while replacing mine, its rather hard work :p
  4. mirrorchild thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2006
    I see. I tried using that but I found another problem. Maybe I'm just stupid but how can I type uppercase letters using the keyboard viewer. Or key combinations for another matter?

Maybe it's impossible altogether. Fro what I understand, the keyboard viewer isn't quite meant for the function of an onscreen keyboard but rather to allow one to see the results of possible key combinations as you type on a physical keyboard.

Thank you for the responses in anycase.
  5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    To make a cap you hit the arrow with a line under it, caps lock, than clcik the letter than unhit caps lock. bit of work though
  6. mirrorchild thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2006
    I did try that, but for some reason the caps lock action doesn't 'stick', in that even after clicking caps lock, whatever letter I click afterwards remains lowercase. Is there something wrong with my keyboard viewer? Is there anything I can do such as setting certain system preferences or settings?