virtual machines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Dec 26, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

What do you guys think -- did Microsoft largely drop their virtual machine product for Macs in order to make life more difficult for Apple? I realize they say it was because they didn't want to bother with making new one for the Intel switch, but is that the real reason?

If you think they largely did it to shaft Apple, do you think they anticipated Parallels and VMWare stepping in to replace them with as quality products as it appears they have?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think they may have simply not seen much of a point in developing yet another VM environment. With Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware, and Q in the ring, they already have plenty of ways to sell Windows to the Mac market.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you REALLY believe that M$ was NOT aware of the competition in th VM space, then you are sadly mistaken :p

They had their reasons for buying VPC, and it had NOTHING to do with mac users or shafting Apple. And besides, would you have really wanted ANOTHER piece of conbobulated clustercrap M$ bloatware running on YOUR mac ?

Not me :D

4. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

Please elaborate on what these reasons for buying VPC might have been. It's interesting

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, based on everything I was told by someone who has frequent contact with numerous upper-level people in Redmond (people who make technological, programming, and marketing decisions), the reason they bought VPC was similiar to the reasons behind most of their other purchases in the last 15 yrs or so.....

A) They did not have the foresight years ago to develop their own VM product during the timeframe in which VPC was developed and became sucessfull.

B) By the time they woke up to the fact that the VM biz could be a profitable one, they were knee-deep in dewydung with adding more bloat to Windows XP/Vista/Office and all the other crapware they had on the stove......

Realizing they had missed the boat, they resorted to their usual "if ya cant beat 'em fairly, just buy them out of business" routine.

So they did just that. Since then they have been tryng to decide whether or not they should attempt to add a VM solution to Vista, or just let the tech die on a lonely, dusty shelf........

The fact that other companies have sucessfully developed Mac/Intel-friendly VM apps is just more nails in VPC's coffin.

IMHO, Crossover will be M$'s next target, since their tech will (eventually) allow Macs to run windblows apps WITHOUT running Windblows, thus "robbing" M$ of another buck or 2.......

And NO, I can not tell anyone who gave me this info, so please dont ask :p