Virtual memory problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yippy, Aug 7, 2004.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I noticed that my computer sounded like it was doing some heavy thinking when all that was open was Safari and Mail. So I opened Terminal and typed top. To my astonishment I had a VM of 5.75Gb and 56,000 pageouts!!!! And my PowerBook has only been up for 7 and a half hours. Is this normal?

Upon further inspection, Apple Mail is using 1.41Gb of VM and 301Mb of real memory (from activity monitor). Is this a memory leak, I don't have that many messaged in Mail?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm...I'm not sure what could be causing that.
    It's completely possible that all that memory is going to WebCore if you happen to have one complex HTML email open in Mail and a bunch of tabs open in Safari.

My Activity Monitor tells me that Mail (which was showing the trash, which had 97 messages in it and none of them were open) is using 18.49 MB of memory and 158.56 MB of VM. Safari has 6 tabs open, and is using 41.84 MB of memory and 185.26 MB of VM. Only kernel_task is using more memory than Safari; WindowServer and kernel_task are above Safari in VM usage too.

3. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Imediatly after a reboot without opening anything but terminal, my virtual memory is 3.75Gb, that seems high, but mayby not. I only have about 5 small things in my startup items.

I just want to be reasured that I don't need to start running diagnostics all over my mac.

Thanks