Virtual Memory/Ram Requirements- New iBook Owner

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Reckless, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Reckless macrumors member

Not sure if I have a problem or not so would appreciate some advice.

I've a new 12" iBook and I'm delighted with it. However, it appears to have one quirk which I'm not sure is something that I can fix or not.

I only tend to use the laptop for web browsing but have noticed that after a little while of use, when using the "back" function (for example when browing a forum thread and then returning to the main list) I get the beach ball and the page takes a while to load. I'm only using the one program, I wondered why I was getting those pauses.

I was wondering if it meant that the program was using virtual memory instead of RAM and this was slowing it down. I'm happy to add more RAM if it will fix the problem. I don't think that it's a problem with my internet connection as my daughter's laptop doesn't seem to have the issue.

I know other threads have indicated that the beach ball can appear when the computer is dealing with a number of progs open at the same time and runs out of memory. As I'm only using the one prog I just assumed that the only delays would be caused by the internet connection.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm assuming you are using Safari. And yes more memory would help, but this is a painfully annoyance that the system does. Now I do have to say that when I got my 12" iBook that I upgraded the ram a 512mb (totall 1gb) within a few days, and so I never really noticed the problem. I use FireFox as my main browser and only every once in a while will it hang on me while back button browsing. But I always have at 3 or 4 programs open at once (some quite intensive). The best solution I can offer is get some www.crucial.com memory and leave this worry behind you.

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i run like 5-7 apps one time and imagine how loong do i have to wait for the beach ball to finish and i'm running 256...sucks...
    x/

4. brandon6684 Guest

I would say 512MB is the bare minimum that OS X can use comforatably, and 1GB or more would be better.

5. Reckless thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the guidance. Yes, I am using Safari (latest version) and also have firefox installed. I assume from a quick google search that safari seems to take up an awful lot of memory when you have a number of tabs open and I do tend to use that a lot.

Would an extra 512 be sufficient or should I just go the whole hog and buy a 1gb chip (or would that be overkill?).

6. brandon6684 Guest

These days you can't really over kill on RAM, but the extra 512 would likely be enough.

7. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah i know that...i'm pretty much gonna just leave this system as it as..i don't wanna spend any more money in it as i'm going to get a new system next year...

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would max it out with an extra 1Gb (total 1.5gb). I would have done that but the money was an issue for me. Its about $80 for 512, and $150 for 1Gb, if its not a big deal I'd gor for the 1gb, and never look back.