virtual os x????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CramSoup, Jun 29, 2004.

1. CramSoup macrumors member

with Virtual pc you can run windows on a mac but is there a program that i can run osx on a pc?????

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

There is a way yes, I can't remember the name of the program at the moment. I'm sure someone else can provide that.

However I have read it is stupidly slow. Alot slower than emulating windows on a mac. PC CPU's just don't cut it for emulation. So while a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 might emulate a usable 1Ghz Pentium PC, a Dual Pentium 3ghz system running the OS X emulator will feel like a 50Mhz mac.

It's pretty much useless except for the novelty value or if there is something small you really really desperately need to do in OS X.

3. CramSoup thread starter macrumors member

I know i just need to make the switch!!! I am in love with ilife but money is tight i was wanting to play with it till i can buy a mac. but from what you are saying it doesn't really seem possible.

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,63456,00.html

some information in that story. Also i noticed them say it runs approx. 500 times slower than the host system & took 4 hours to install OS X.

You really should have a good play with OS X though, I'd suggest getting to an Apple Centre or maybe find a mate or a friend of a friend who would show you.

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

It's PearPC and it's just in its very early stages of development. So it's in fact quite slow.

6. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I think the important point to make is that it'll never be fast. I remember reading it boils down to the CPU. PC's (CISC) cannot emulate very well, where as Macs (RISC) can do it pretty well. Windows emulation on a mac is only just bareable.

7. rogerw macrumors 6502

How bearable?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There are three major Mac emulators.

Basilisk II - Runs OS 7 and 8 (fast). Requires a ROM image.
    SheepShaver - Runs OS 8 and 9 (medium).
    PearPC - Runs OS X (slow). Requires a Darwin CD to partition the virtual hard drive.