Virtual PC 5.0.2 screams

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Mar 8, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

check ou the new update it screams
    video actually works
    and its great in OS X
    just what I have been waiting for

2. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Much faster

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say it screams, but it is much faster than it was. It is usable again. :)

Chris

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

yes, it's finally usable in os x. i'm surprised how such a small upgrade (at least in the number) can increase the speed by so much. i'm very happy. now i'm going to install BeOS on it! woo-hoo

4. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

where?

Where did you get this update? is it officially released? I went to apple's os x downloads, and they only have 5.0.1. Any tips?

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

What is so great about the update?? I have installed it and have found it a little smoother but nothing spectacular!!!

6. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I am using a G4/400 at work and may have to use VPC for for some heavy sw:
    Like IBM VisualAge for Java!

What will make the most difference in getting this to run faster:
    Memory,
    HD,
    CPU?

What machine do you recommend - Would I see a huge difference in speed using a 933 vs a DP 1G?

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I am using a 1Ghz DP to run VPC (under OSX). If I go to look at the system specs on the pc it tells me that I have a 600Mhz PC. I have assigned the full 512mb of RAM to VPC as well. You should be able to compare your computer and mine with this info.

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

On my iBook 600 it says that it has a 400MHZ processor. He is right though. The 5.0.2 update does scream. I have been trying to install XP (so that I can see it when I provide support on it, as I am an administrator), and it would get 2 hours into the install, and then crash. This morning after the update. I have installed in in less than 45 minutes. That is about the same as it would take on a PC, and all of my virtual machines are so much faster. Kudos to Connectix.

9. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Thats good for an ibook. Are you running under OS9??

10. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

faster?

I didnt think it was that big of a deal. It seemed a little soother to me and maybe a little faster but nothing to get really exited about.

11. oldMac macrumors 6502a

VPC

For Mac-heads, you guys sure run a lot of Virtual PC.

I just have a PIII that sits next to my Mac. Much faster than Virtual PC. :)

12. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

yeah... I know

I have a PI 200 Laptop with a bad battery and a really small LCD. I can work on most things with it (and some things like programming in Assembly for the x86... I have to) But its still very slow. Running VPC is faster on my Mac than my crappy (brothers) old laptop. Plus My Screen is bigger on my Mac :)

VPC has always been and always will be slow... but thats just the cost of emulation. Nothing we can do about it. Its a pretty good product for what is it and I like it most of the time. The thing I cant get over is Windows... but I guess thats my own fault ... or maybe my professors fault for making me code in really bad environemnts like MS Visual Studio. Yuck!

13. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Yuck

I don't even use Visual Studio on my PC. *yuck*

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My iBook is running VPC under X. I have 192 MB for all of my virtual Machines. (Win 95, 98, 2000, NT, XP, and Mandrake Linux). It is faster than the PIII 550 that I have here at work. So much so that I took down the PIII today and put it in the closet! Now, I just have my silver bullet sitting on my desk!

Oh, and one thing oldmac. I have to run this so I can see what my clients see. I have never, and I mean never, not in two years of using VPC gotten a blue screen. Can you say that about your machine?

15. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Yuck

Unfortunatly ... I have had a few classes that required that I use it. The problem is that my professor used it to run our programs and MS does not use the standard JAVA or C/C++ libs. There are some syntax diffrences when you code in an MS enviornment. So... when I would code my stuff with Borland, Forte, the new Apple dev tools, gcc, or javac, it would not run the same way when my professor would run it at home. So... I had to use Visual Studio. I took a VB class too just for fun... I needed one more class to fill my semester.

16. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

933 or 1GDP

I need to run IBM VisualAge for Java and eventually WebSpere Test Environment.
    Whiel I rarely multi-taks as many video/audio developers do, I still find it happening:
    downloading files, unzipping files, printing, etc.

I am lookign at a 933 or a 1GDP - since I am an academinc and have all my own RAM and Drives, I can get the 933 for $2100 and the DP1G for $2750

So, for a difference of $650 - will I see that much performance difference?

it sounds like NO....and that the 933 would be just fine....

But it's critical I get this right- I'd rather have extra CPU cycles buzzing around idle at times - and have a great performing VPC/Mac...

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I may just go and do that... I could run a linux mail/web/print/router server off it.

But ... as for windows.... i dont think so... its just way too crappy.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Get the Dual 1GHZ. A friend of mine has one, and VPC benchmarked higher under it (ver. 5.0) than his wifes PIII 733. I cannont imagine what it will do with 5.0.2

PC>Mac
    If that is the case then why spend time here with us Mac people? Oh, you know what your right. Let me sell my rock solid Macs so I can get a Hell, I mean Dull, I mean Dell.
    :p