Virtual PC 5.1 in the works

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, May 23, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

With the release of jaguar will come a slew of new apps including
    Virtual PC 5.1, my sources say that Virtual PC 5.1 has up to 40% speed improvement over 5.0.2
    This is because of jaguar mainly, Remeber a while ago when connectix said VPC would never be as fast a OS9 because of the way 10.1 is built
    but this will all chage with the release of jaguar, maybe it's because of the quartz extreme.....I don't know.
    but for all VPC users this looks good

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Mac15, no offense here ok. Is your source a beta tester? Someone that works there? Just trying to figure it out. Thanks, in advance. I hope that it is accurate. That would be a massive improvement in one release.

3. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

my friend is beta tester
    and he says it's very fast

4. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Backtothemac, I must say I really enjoy your posts. Many would jump on this guy and call him a liar etc, but you always keep it civil. I noticed this with the recent flame wars and really appreciate your contributions.

5. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

you rock backtothemac

your super mellow and thats whats cool about you

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you for the props. I try to keep things intelligent. Ranting doesn't do anyone any good. There is always try to keep a level head. Hey, I was a doorman at a bar in New Orleans on Burbon Street. You have to be able to keep calm with that job. That experience helps with a lot in my life.

I also asked because I beta tested for Connectix both VPC 3, and VPC 4. I haven't been able to get back in touch with them to do any development on three, but would like to work on 6 ;)

7. TypeR389 macrumors member

Re: Virtual PC 5.1 in the works

BTW, I am currently trying to decide between the bew iBook, and selling a kidney and getting the TiBook, and here is a quote from Connectix support dealing with what different aspects of the machines effect VPC performance. A lot of this makes sense, but I figured I'd post it since it is an official(or semi anyway) descriptopn

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I run VPC at work all day long. It is very stable, and very responsive. The only OS that really doesn't run well on it is XP. It is such a bloated pig that it is just too much to emulate with any real speed. Now on an XServe, or one of the MWNY PowerMacs, that will probably be a different story. I would save the kidney, and go with the the iBook. :p

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hi everyone, this is my first post :D...
    wow, VPC for windows is still in 4x series lol, i've used VPC on xp, n damn its basically really slow on my wintel puter...
    i use a mac at school basically every day (mon-fri) and always use vpc 2.1 for os 8.6 and win 95 (ya all their software is basically outdated) and its basically the same 2 me as if you actually bought a wintel machine (old one tho) with win 95 on it... pretty fast mouse, doesnt take a year for the OS to start up (like linux on vpc for windows), but then again lots of illegal opperations when running ie 3x (yes ie 3x) or office 97 lol but then again, most ms software is buggy ;)

i'm planning on buying a mac between august-november n i cant wait :D