Virtual PC 6 networking

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dross, Nov 30, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

I just instaled Virtual PC 6.1 on my powerbook and I can not get the networking to work corectly. I have tried their wizard and that does not work as well as all the help files. Is there a trick to this or what?

I have tried both wired and wireless conections from the MAC and it does not seam to matter.

It tells me I have 3 more days left to regester but I can not get on line to do so.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The easiest way is to share your PowerBook's connection.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

This should be easy, no? It sounds like you are messing around with the Windows network settings. You should just be able to set them to DHCP and be done with it. However, you need to into the VPC (not Windows) settings and select the shared option under networking. I've never had a problem, whether the Mac was wired or wireless.

4. dross thread starter macrumors regular

dross

That is what I though but no luck so I called Microsoft. That is right I called them. After 1 hour and three instals of VPC on the phone I final got it to work. I had to change the network settings to use the vurital switch.

So right now I am using my airport to conect from OSX and my wired conection to conect through VPC at the same time! I do not know how but it seams to work.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

That's too bad, actually. The way it should work, with a shared network, isolates VPC behind the OS X firewall and such. In the other words, with a shared network, they have to hack into OS X before they can hack Windows on VPC. Of course, this doesn't help with email or browser attacks.

Bummer.