virtual pc 6 vs. 7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by minesgeek, Mar 8, 2005.

1. minesgeek macrumors member

alright, so there is another thread or two talking about the differences but they are usually talking about more advanced operations.

so my question is, on my setup, which would be better 6 or 7 running win 2k for the following:

-office (access)
    -auto gordianknot (backing up that collection)
    -syncing pda with vindigo (accesses internet)

i don't need to access windows networks or blah blah blah. and another thread stated that there are less "bugs" now the MS has control of VPC 7.

holla...

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Version 7 is much better.

In 7, you can allocate up to 512MB RAM to VPC - so, 768MB is recommended in my opinion. 256MB for the background OSX and 512MB for Win2K etc. Running it on less RAM will be VERY slow - 1GB total is encouraged if possible.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For best performance, run VPC 6 under OS 9. But if you want to run under OS X, use VPC 7.

4. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I have v6 and just increased my vpcRAM from 192mb to 384mb, noticing a speed improvement.

However, I must erase my installation and reinstall as a nasty virus called CWS_ns3 won't allow either Norton AntiVirus or SpySweeper to do their jobs properly. MacOS X's firewall DOES NOT protect against PC threats, and you must install these (or similar) programs to protect data.

5. minesgeek thread starter macrumors member

i will be running it on the pb (1.25gb ram). but i guess if i felt like running it on my girl's iMac, i should just get 7, right? cause g5's and vpc 6 don't jive, right?

of course i also heard that vpc 6 and panther is a little buggy too with little specifics