Virtual PC 7.0- ? XP home vs professional

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apalmleis, Sep 27, 2004.

1. apalmleis macrumors newbie

I just purchased my iMac G5 and have several PC based programs that I need to run. I was planning on getting Virtual PC 7.0. The question I have is what do people recommend using, XP home vs professional. I am sure professional is a larger program, hence probably slower, but will I need the extra communication software that comes with XP professional to connect via airport. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

For the most part, they are the same program. I'm not sure about the vpc version, but the normal install of home has all the same things that pro has, they just aren't all activated.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... let me save your from a mistake I made. GET PRO!!! It's got all kinds of nifty little tools and additions that make it better. I kick myself everytime I want to use RDC. Oh well... I refuse to pay the man another dime for a while. It's not any slower for VPC.

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Um, it's a free download, so go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-4b4a-40e7-a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

Or go to www.microsoft.com/downloads, select Windows XP from the drop down and search on Remote Desktop Client

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

That's correct. However, I thought the last user was wanting to use the client not the server. In addition, why would you want to run the RDC server through VPC? That would be a curious setup.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you wanted the client you could just get rdc for os x.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I cannot get RDC to work - I'm probably going to have to set up VNC to control my PC remotely. I'd recommend Windows XP Pro - it has some nice features, and it isn't any slower than Windows XP Home under VPC. Also, if you encounter anything that needs WinXP Pro, you'll be able to use it. (Disclaimer: I haven't used VPC 7.0, and I discontinued my use of VPC ever since I got a real PC.)