virtual pc 7 internet client connection problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dbirider, Feb 12, 2005.

1. dbirider, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

dbirider macrumors member

Hey, i play alot of poker online. I mostly use pokerstars. The way it works(for pretty much all poker sites) is you download the client off the website, and open it up and it connects to the server where you can play other people. I was able to have all the different poker clients work fine with virtual pc6. The only weird thing is that I would have to change from shared networking to virtual swich depending on if i'm at school with dsl or at home with cable and a wireless router.

So i just installed virtual pc7 and all the updates... and converted my windows xp for virtual pc6 to work with 7. I forgot to make a backup of it though. oops! So now i'm having a problems where some of the poker sites will connect and others won't. I have no idea why. I try changing from virtual swich and shared networking and i dont notice a difference this time. Internet explorer works fine on both. The thing i do notice though is the sites that are working are running alot snappier then they did with virtual pc6. Does anyone have any clue on whats going on? Also I want to know if there is a way to convert my windows xp from working with virtual pc7 back to working with virtual pc6 again.

Thanks.

Edit: what does this mean? "When using Shared Networking, DHCP is required on your PC. In order to share the Mac's TCP/IP adress, you must change the emulated operating system's TCP/IP settings to use DHCP to configure its TCP/IP adress." How do i do this on windows xp? I want to try it and see if it makes a difference. EDIT2: nevermind on this last part. I figured out how to do the settings on windows and everything was correct. it was on obtain ip adress automatically

2. dbirider thread starter macrumors member

Arg. this is to complicated. It just doesnt work for no reason at all. internet works fine... just some poker clients dont connect and others do. The one i have money on doesnt work. I feel like i have gone over every option possible. I just tried virtual swich again since in the help files they say its needed to use some networking software and chat programs. I even tried typing in a static ip adress rather then using the automatic option. Still the same problem. internet explorer works fine and so do all websites.

Is there a way to convert the virtual pc windows from 7 back to 6? Am i forgetting anything obvious? I even made sure the options were set to built in ethernet.

3. dbirider thread starter macrumors member

Ummmmmmmmmmmm............. What the heck just happend? I had my apple time set to 2004 rather then 2005. after i fixed it i went back to fiddling with the virtual pc and suddenly it works. I just want to forget everything that was just happening and go to sleep now without that huge weight on my shoulders. :eek: