Virtual PC 7 performance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nordesmic, Aug 15, 2006.

1. nordesmic macrumors member

I'm using a PPC with virtual pc 7 so I thought write this here as opposed to the windows on mac section.

My 1.8 GHz Dual G5 is annoyingly slow using Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP. I know that this software has always been slow and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on improving the performance of VPC.

I currently have 1.25 GB of RAM, will another GB improve performance noticeably? I remember reading something about how VPC works best with 512MB RAM allocated or something so I'm not sure if any more would help at all.

I hate having to use VPC but my Engineering degree forces me to use certain windows-based modelling software.

Thanks very much for any help

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

See http://homepage.mac.com/brucemillerphoto

The "VPC Tech PDF's" folder at the bottom has a collection of neat stuff that Connectix used to have on their site but Microsoft didn't bother to keep around. The "Optimizing Win XP and Home" file in particular should help, you many need to manually add the PDF extension to read it after unzipping.

You're right, more RAM will be of limited value, the VM likes to stop at 512. If you're not trying to run other stuff at the same time, 1.5GB should be plenty.

3. gavingrant macrumors newbie

oh yeah dont running any application when in virtual pc it tends to slow it down
    windows 98 = fast but some bugs a no no
    windows 2000= fast but can be faster with a little tweaking
    windows xp = fast :cool: