Virtual PC Alternatives

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iHungry, Jul 5, 2004.

1. iHungry macrumors newbie

iHungry

Hi, I was curious...Are there any alternatives to Virtual PC (an application in which I could run a windows environment on my mac. Or mabye an application like remote desktop.

2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

microsoft.com has remote desktop for OSX to control a Windows PC. that's what I use instead of VPC. I have a desktop PC and a headless severs I control from my ibook.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The only other easy-to-use app is OpenOSX Wintel

It really is a GUI app built around MacBochs, but is does work. Painfully slow.... but it does work. Have tested it on a Dual G4 533, and Single G5 1.6. On the G4 it is definitely slower than VPC.

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's "the other way around": a PPC emulator for running Mac OS X on Windoze.

6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

that's what I use too... works way better than VPC for those little PC-only apps that I need and I don't want to steal space on the HD on my tiBook...

nice app

here's the LINK to Microsoft RDC

cheers mate :)

vSpacken

7. Landae macrumors newbie

Landae

I dont know if this is any help at all but the darwine project is around, but its not the eaiest thing to install. I mean I dont get it, although actually I havent even tried it. For those who are interested though here is the site.
    http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

8. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Darwine isn't really the same as VPC. VPC is a processor (and entire machine, really) emulator. The alternative to this that I have experience with is Qemu, which recently released an OS X port. You can get that at http://www.freeoszoo.org/download.php.

Darwine is an OS X port of WINE; WINE can run Windows apps on Linux, basically. The only way to actually run basic Windows apps using Darwine on OS X would be for them to implement Qemu into Darwine (so that Qemu emulates the x86 processor and various other parts of a PC, and Darwine handles the software-based stuff (converting win32 stuff into stuff that OS X can understand)). For now, Darwine would have to be run in X11, but eventually they hope to make it completely OS X-native.

In a nutshell, if you want a free alternative to VPC, try Qemu. It's somewhat slower than VPC, but not unbelivably slow. Its homepage is http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu.

9. JohnsonMac macrumors newbie

Qemu has a lot of potential, but is outclassed in every way by VPC at the moment. If (when?) MS botches up VPC, Qemu will be vital to fall back on.

10. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I wonder if Qemu will eventually have native graphics card support like VPC7 will. That's pretty important as far as speed goes. I'm looking forward to VPC7 for that reason.

But you're right that it's good to have a free open-source program like Qemu to go along with a Microsoft program that's better for right now.

11. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

is there ANY wintel emulator wich will work with a G5 right now?? I don't need it for gaming so don't bother to post me on the poor results on that... I only need it to check some QuickTime + QuicktimeVR things and some Windows browsers when developing things... and no I don't want to buy a PC for only that reason :-D

and VPC7 takes soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long(horn) to be available...

12. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I've used VPC6 (on a G4), and you basically can't do anything graphics-related on it (play music, movies, etc.). Qemu is even slower so I'd imagine that it would be a nightmare for movies. I think you'd do best to wait for VPC7. That should be good for QuickTime stuff since it can use your native graphics card. I really don't think there are any decent (fast enough to do something like QuickTime) x86 emulators for OS X at this time.

13. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

There is a little-known emulator for Mac called Blue Label Power Emulator. It only works for < OS X, but they're working on an OS X version now. There's a free trial download and it's only $35 if you want to buy it. I don't have any experience with it, so you'll have to try it to see if you like it.

Link to emulator

14. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

it doesn't support the 'classic' version on OSX, so unless someone knows how to hack my G5 to boot in os9 (wich I'd like, to see how Photoshop would soar in speed in comparison with OSX... on my G5... lol) so probably VPC7 is the one I'm waiting for... I've heared from other apps like OpenOSX but it sounds that its even slower than VPC6 but it did run on a 1.6Ghz G5, so maybe it'll run on my dual1.8...

well I think I'll just go over to my brother to see how it (the things mentioned above) works on his P4... he still has it for his son while swithing to a rev A 12"Pb