Virtual PC and games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaYC-Ent, Oct 29, 2003.

1. DaYC-Ent macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    i'm a pissed-off PC'er making the switch very soon, so please bare with me, as i'm still learning about the options of the Mac OS.

basically, with a decent PB or maybe even a G5, can you use Virtual PC to play PC games? do you have to run WinXP through VPC, or can you run the game just with VPC? would it even be worth the effort?

i've seen some of the games available for the Mac, and i'm actually impressed as it's more than i thought. However, there are a few titles that i'm not finding, or not seeing any future development plans. Like right now, i'm playing Homeworld 2, and with my current PC (Presario P4 1.4GHz WinME 256RAM 128GeForce3) i'm used to playing with all the details at or near their lowest.

so far, Mac is better at everything else, and a few games aren't going to determine whether i buy or not, but i'd just like to know.

Thanks! :p
  2. ima_pseudonym macrumors member

Apr 18, 2002

Virtual PC emulates pc hardware, to run software, you must run an os on top of it. WinXP is pretty bloated and does not run very qucikly win98 or 2k is a better bet.

Either way, though, it is useless for games. Graphic intensive games are simply not playable under VPC.

Also, keep in mind that VPC is currently incompatible with the G5. The program relies on low-level hardware functions present in the G3 and G4 but not the G5 (some sort of little-endian/big-endian emulation mode). Who knows when microsoft will update the app to run on the G5.
  3. DaYC-Ent thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    oh, i didn't know VPC was a microsoft program. i thought maybe it was something that a mac company came up with... guess i should start paying attention to who makes what.

so should i just try to upgrade my PC for those few games that i just 'can't live without'? or just leave the darkside completely?
  4. ima_pseudonym macrumors member

Apr 18, 2002
    It used to be an independent company. Microsoft bought them up.

Eat the rich.
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    even a game like worms works pretty bad. one small move with your mouse and you get of the chart! but it depends also on your processor. you should devide your own processorspeed by 4, then you have approximately the processorspeed of the simulated windoos machine
  6. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    You should be able to run strat games like roller coaster tycoon and such but no action or FPSer's. But most those FPS came to the Mac.
  7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    VPC can't run games not only because it's slow. The main reason is that it does not support hardware graphics acceleration. The GPU is a software emulation, so obviously it can't even handle moderatly graphics intensive task.
  8. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    All of Apple's newest models don't have an L3 cache. How does this affect VPC performance? I had heard that an L3 would boost VPC speed quite a bit. Do the newest G4s have some other trait that makes up for the lack of L3? And how bout the G5 (once MS makes VPC compatible with them)?
  9. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    no L3 but double the L2. So i would assume it works out.
  10. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    A larger L2 is much faster than the old L3 for almost every application.

You can play the most popular Windows game of all time via VPC - Freecell. Any turn based game should be playable with decent hardware. Give yourself plenty of RAM if you want XP to run smoothly. I suggest at least 1GB. Don't expect to play shooters under VPC. Good news is that many of the most popular titles are available in Mac versions.
  11. dec macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2003
    I am just about to switch to a Mac after 19 years of being a diehard PC user. And when i looked a VPC, i saw them demostrating it with shots of Tomb Raider, does this not run?
  12. matthew_goldin macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2003
    Just use your mac. It will just make the switch worse to use VPC.
  13. postman macrumors newbie

Nov 26, 2003
    VPC too slow for action intense games

I suppose the same can be said for VPC and audio programs hey? Acid pro is such a kick ass program, but not available for mac.(sniff)
    Wavelab, Sound Forge...
  14. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2003
    The VPC interface with the mac video hardware is essentially non-existant. The program uses an software-coded emulation to act as a stand-in video card for windows... this is the main reason that gameplay in VPC is essentially impossible....

....that and Windows sux, but that is another story....;)
  15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Keep the pc but just play games on it... cheaper and better performance.
  16. DaYC-Ent thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    well, i guess my question has been fully answered. :D guess it's a necessary evil if i want to keep up with the Jones'.
    thanks everyone. just put a 20" imac on order. talk about super-excited about the early christmas present!!
  17. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    A spokesman from Microsoft actually said that VPC utilised L3 and it made a big improvement. Although the L2 cache is faster it is not utilised in the same way thank God there fore that apple upped the processor clock speeds at the same time in each machine (powerbooks anyway). Not sure I'd fancy using it on a machine with no L3 and minimum L2 (256k) it's slow enough on a top of the line mac.